Verbal offer

New EcVa56
Feb 13, 2018 9 Comments

I am expecting a verbal offer today. Do you negotiate the offer right away or take a day or two to mull it over and come back with a counter?

What do you say to the recruiter?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 9 Comments
  • If you are dealing with a third party recruiter, speak with them first. Ideally have them do the negotiating to and let him be the bad guy.

    If it’s directly, make sure you are being realistic and not greedy. If you have a valid reason for wanting more such as a competing offer or the company is lower than your current something along those lines, the company will want to make up the difference if they can afford it. But make sure you are clear, you never want to revise an offer more than once if avoidable.

    Most important, don’t be greedy and don’t take a job just for the money.
    Feb 13, 2018 0
  • Microsoft / Eng nzQR23
    Take a day to evaluate the offer and tell the recruiter that you will let them know soon.
    Feb 13, 2018 0
  • Abbott TKDD78
    Take a day at least. Get it in writing. I had a verbal offer rescinded after negotiating before getting it in writing.
    Feb 14, 2018 0
  • Cruise Automation / Eng
    You can start negotiating immediately if you already have competing offers in hand
    Feb 13, 2018 0
  • Uber / Eng R26v$&
    I dealt with recruiters in the recent past. Uber recruiter stood out. He provided incomplete information and tried to steal a deal. Also I felt that he pretended to not know stuff. Be wary of Uber recruiter and also I would say not all apples are bad.

    Edit: I missed this phrase. Low ball tactic. Read in another post of the same thing. Not all apples are bad but seems like most of them are.
    Feb 13, 2018 0
  • L3 Technologies emqN07
    Tell them exactly whats going on. They wont reject you because you have high demand
    Feb 13, 2018 0
  • New EcVa56
    OP
    Thanks! I am also interviewing with 2 other companies. One is just wrapped and now awaiting decision, another one is scheduled for next week. The recruiter knows this and I have a feeling that she will not wait and I will not be able to stall until I see other offers.
    Feb 13, 2018 2
    • Microsoft / Eng nzQR23
      Yeah sometimes they try to pressurise you but you have to push back. Tell them you can't decide without comparing all the offers.
      Feb 13, 2018
    • LinkedIn iNuT20
      Don‘t give in to pressure. They‘ll wait.
      Feb 13, 2018