I'm in talks with the HR and the bosses on moving into the USA on a L1 visa. The location is flexible but seems Chicago, NJ, NY are most likely. MA, MD, VA could also be the case.
Currently in Band 6V in an architecture and consulting area, been with VZ for 8 years, total YOE is 25 out of which Managerial/Sales/Architecture is 18 years. MBA Executive from a top school, graduated in 2010.
Considering my payrises have been minimal over the last couple of years I'm guessing I'm at the top of the band.
TC today (base + bonus + retirement fund contribution) = $247K.
Some other international transferees have mentioned that VZ is not as generous in the US as Internationally so ~10% hit should be expected. So I want to validate just that and to get any idea whether I could go above that number. I expect the salary conversation to take place in the next couple of weeks
- Apple KGHP41It totally depends. Where are you moving from? Do you have any other offers?
- Since I'd be the only one person in this country in the process, I'd rather keep my current location secret. Not from the Indochina peninsula.
I don't have any other offers since my preference is to stay a V-teamer for much longer. I love the company a lot.
When I initiated conversation about the transfer the bosses sounded supportive and wanted to keep me within the current organisation. Alternatively I'm free to apply via the internal jobs portal as much as I want. To you point, my bargaining position is not the strongest.
- For someone with 25 YoE, you sound extremely naive. You have a ton of choices of cities within the US but your comp is fixed at approximately $247K? That doesn’t sound right to me as the cities you mentioned have wildly different CoL. I know you’ve been with Verizon for a long time but you would not stay with the company if someone would offer you a 30-40% raise, would you? So to say that you’ve been a V-teamer might sound ok when your bosses and teammates around. You don’t have to pretend like you have some sort of loyalty because the company certainly won’t flinch when it needs to send you packing even if you’ve been around for a long time. This is especially true in the US where most employment is at-will so you better get used to it. Lastly, you mentioned you weren’t from Indochina region. It matters where you’re coming from and if I were you, I would try getting competing offers to make the most. There are US companies that will directly hire but again depends on the region you’re coming from.Nov 10 1
- Not a single day of my 25YoE has been in the USA and I'm not trying to pretend I know much about the USA labour market or salary range depending on the market/regions. So yeah, naïve would be a suitable word. Here, in the country I live in, I belong to the top % of salaried employees and where I would stand in the USA I have no idea, thus this post.
Nevertheless, IL, NJ and NY all felt very close with regards to the cost of living there. Whilst the USA is a massive and vibrant country, I'm focusing on the places with four seasons, that offer great schools and solid career opportunities... I've been to California in December -- too hot :)
Modeling my projected expenses indicates that I could comfortably live in any of the areas I target if my salary stayed at the same level as it is today. Getting a 10% cut would be sad but survivable, getting 20% would be a show stopper. And my original intent is to ascertain how achievable my income requirements are, especially considering my weak bargaining power. So far, my research indicates 250K is more attainable for a Band 5 director role and I'd be lucky if I could retain the current level of TC unless my Band 4, decided to offer a promotion.
An important element you probably missed is the employer sponsored visa, the L1A for which VZ has a blanket petition approved. This pretty much eliminates any competing offers regardless of how much better they could be. Since my intent is the US residency, I'm not eligible for a work visa such as H1B or whatever else. Yes, I could reconsider my "intent" and then spend some years in uncertainty, identifying the way to adjust my status vs being kicked out of the country on visa expiration but I'd rather stick with a direct route instead. And well, not being from Indochina means I won't need to wait for 155 years for the GC :) Provided I had the GC, the conversation would be different.
- I think for a director level person VZ has massively low balled you. Chicago, NJ/NY will pay a lot more than what you’re being offered. Your best bet is to come to US, get your gc and explore other options. A minor detail that many people miss in the US immigration system is that nationality doesn’t matter. Your CoB matters. Even if you’re not from Indochina region but you’re born in either of those countries you are going to face a long wait.Nov 11 0
- I did not miss that specific detail. Luckily for me, there is no CoB penalty, so, if VZ gets me over on a L1A, GC won't be a major issue, just things happening in their due time.
The specific suburbs I was eyeing in Chicagoland (North Shore) and NJ (areas around Basking Ridge), had a combined household income in vicinity of 250K with the majority (circa 90%) of residents having either Masters or some University degree, if data on Niche is of any use... So I assumed the single income of $250k was a good enough deal (I did not drill into statistical outliers of course), especially judging based on my own standing within where I am today....
I'm sure I will update on how I will go with the negotiations. Thanks again for sharing your perspectives, much appreciated!Nov 11 0