The reviews for the HomePod are terrible! What is going on over at Apple? You're releasing a late product with A quarter of the promised features.. anyone here work on that product?
TOP 36 Comments
- Apple / Eng Small👐🏻moreAnybody with an iPhone should know what to expect from Siri and would probably assume Siri on HomePod to be more or less a bit more smarter with respect to specific HomePod and music listening use cases. So I honestly don’t get the surprise that Siri isn’t as capable as they’re expecting. What are you really buying? You’re buying superior sound hardware. That’s what you’re buying. Apple made this thing primarily for music, and IoT/Digital assistant use cases will follow....hopefully....with better and extensible HomeKit and SiriKit features.
Same except for basic simple commands while driving. Saves me a few distracted flicks and presses.
“Hey Siri, play some country music”
“Hey Siri, play some Soundgarden”
(Single artist, mixed songs)
“Hey Siri, play Hook by Blues Traveler”
(Song by artist)
“Hey Siri, call Travis B______ mobile”
That’s about the extent of what I’ve asked of Siri.Feb 7, 2018 1
- I’ve been launching all 3 at the beginning of my commute and picking one and rotating every day. What I’ve found over the past few months is they are all within 4 minutes apart of their actual ETA. So Apple maps does pretty well on the routing side. But when we do get that outlier, it can be very bad. Honestly the same thing happens with Google. Just the other day it gave me a route that was 45 minutes longer for no apparent reason. I laughed and went with Waze. In truth, it seems like the worse off the traffic gridlock is the more unreliable the maps are. But we do reasonably well from my experience. Google seems to leverage historical traffic weights more in their ranking than others. Waze is just all over the place as they leverage real time social signals more.
Must be interesting to work on this stuff.
- Lyft iLyftmoreI’ve only heard amazing reviews about the sound quality and how they’re using computation audio to make the listening experience phenomenal. I’d love to read the bad reviews to get a more even perspective. Can you post a few?
Flagged by the community.
- Apple rndEulerIt is not shipped yet. Anyone has hands on experience rather than some reviews?
- I think the reviews are very fair. No Spotify support? Locked in only to Apple Music walled gardens? They need to open it up pronto. And not be able to detect personal voices is a glaring privacy hole. Need to disable that option by default until it’s supported.
Fix those two and it’s probably the best speaker to buy if you care at all about music. If all you want is a digital assistant, get an Echo dot for fiddy bucks.
I think the features will come. I ordered mine and will get it this Friday.Feb 6, 2018 3
- Siri is so primitive! It is the new internet explorer. Comes from an Apple fan 😞 . Bored of Apple products. Agree, they look fancy but not the best. I love my Alexa more.
- This is a pretty good review. https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/2/6/16976906/apple-homepod-review-smart-speaker