25F here. I’m not having a baby anytime soon. I want some insights from other women about what a good age is. I was thinking 33, but is that too late?
TOP 29 Comments
- Juniper eesucksCompletely agree with the person who said 27-28. Had a kid at 32 but I so wish I had a kid at 27. Younger parents have more energy. Also helps that you can be done with your responsibilities before 50.
- I do travel, and I do focus on my career. We take many trips each year as a family and without the kids. Friends and family are a crucial support role there. My career has gone fine because I come to work happy and with more perspective. I also choose this path, therefore my expectations for life were already tempered with expectations of raising kids. Having kids has had absolutely zero negative impact on me or my career. It’s almost a self sustaining loop. Good parents and families, raise good kids, who then support the next generation, then the cycle repeats.
- Wow—so much has to do with personal circumstance. I’m 37 and starting now, comfortably in senior to not have to worry about time off or interviewing... if I could go back, I’d say 27 or 28 when I was junior enough to not worry about same and have older kids by now...33 was a no go. I was ladder climbing and there was ZERO chance I’d be able to balance
- After you get married you two might want to go for check ups to see how fertile you both are. I know some couples who have been trying for a while now. This will give you an indication of how easy it will to get pregnant.
You currently aim for 34 but it might not happen till your 38.
Knowledge is key.
- Intel VANDERPUMPSo many variables go into this it's hard to reply. You didnt nearly tell us enough about yourself. We had our first in our late late 30s and we are doing great. We are mature, own a home, no debts, tons in the bank, have had 15+ years to scale my career, can afford her to be SAHM, little to worry about aside from sleep. Have been all around the world on vacations and done about everything I wanted before having kids, which is key. I didnt want to go to Italy or Berlin or Greece or Barcelona for the first time when I'm 55 or 65. IMO having kid(s) in 30s is ideal. I wouldn't have done it any other way.
- This is fun and makes a ton of sense. Are you also a woman? If I were a man, I’d be all over this life plan (in fact, it’s in part why we took so long)...but for me, as a woman, it was either have them before scaling the career or wait until I’m (mostly) in the clear... (he’ll be SAHD). I say mostly bc as another poster pointed out, Mother Nature has the final word and she’s callin’ :-)
- I'd say be done with kids before 35 or else you will need to go thru amnio crap during pregnancy. I had mine at 29 and 34. Wish I had them a little earlier. But no regrets. Balanced well. One is graduating from Harvard this Fall and the other going into Duke. Turned 50 last year. Life is good.
- Male side of things: be financially stable, like your job and TC. Live close to work. Sign up for day care as soon as you know your pregnant as there could be long waits for good ones.
Leetcode and do practice interviews beforehand. I wanted to change jobs when having second child. It made studying harder. I took parental leave to study. My advice is to always be prepared bc you might lose your job and need to find another.
- LG lzmlI did it at 31. I think 33 is a little late if you already have your shit together. Pregnancy becomes more complicated as you age and even 31 is late. I would have done it a year earlier if I had my shit together.
Child care will take a lot of patience and energy at it becomes more difficult as you age. You will also keep on calculating how old you will be for their significant life events and I guarantee that you would prefer to be younger.
- Target ilhzrh5Health risks skyrocket for you and baby the older you are, including massive depression as you realize you aren’t “free” like you were before. I did 30, seemed late.
- Spotify Eddiend27-28.
If you are going to wait until 33 test your ovarian reserve every year from 28 to make sure you don’t end up at IVF
- Apple MRpJ61How many kids do you think you want? If you want more like 3 then you should start now. If you only want 1 then I guess it's ok to wait.