Recruiter from C1 hit me up, wondering how people there like it. I'm an L4 at Uber and I'm open to looking outside. They seem to have cool projects (Alexa, Eno, and the cafes).
What's the culture like and how's the SF locations? Is the work as interesting as it seems on the outside?
Obligatory: 260k TC, 3 YOE.
1. Company has no respect for SF office. the CEO refuses to visit us and there is virtually no leadership in this building. The VP in charge of SF was fired a few months ago and then they tried to tell us that she had planned to leave for several months... Yeah right then why did they have a meeting last minute?
2. Constant restructuring, in the last 12 months I think two large orgs were disbanded and most of the employees laid off. Halo, Small Business, all gone and their projects all got taken to East Coast.
3. Low quality code base, really bad coders who just cargo cult and make the problems worst because they don't care to be responsible
4. You're an Eng right? Uber is monopoly money but C1 doesn't do equity grants until you're a Director so your TC will be even lower than it is now
5. I heard Uber got rid of stack ranking, well... bad news. CEO loves it and thinks it's the best system. Many of my good friends and quality talent leave because of it.
6. Performance management is about marketing yourself as a 1000x rockstar developers instead of any quality output, so forget about anything but politics. Seeing you are from Uber... It might be a good fit?
7. Last week someone in my org sent a farewell email calling out the CEO for never visiting... and our VP who is also never visiting decided to fire him and have security remove him from the building for it.
My advice... just don't do it.