Why People from India switches to Hindi for work related conversations?Dec 3, 2018
I been in several companies in the valley. In all is the same. People from India that speaks perfect English decides to speak in Hindi for work related topics. Why this people always hide something?
- Micro Focus / Eng5’6” RuskiI always assume that people around me who switch to taking in their native language are talking shit about me.
- New / OtherAuntHildaNot every indian language is Hindi. It can also be Telugu or any other Indian language.
- ^You are one of those people on conference calls that like to make their presence felt by holding up the meetings on a menial detail or clarification. Whenever I hear those people, I just assume they can't grasp the more difficult problem at hand, so they stick to what they can do.Dec 3, 20185
- Hold up now. I don’t support Indians speaking anything other than english while working with others. But this post suggests that Indians should not speak in English even among themselves when there is no one else involved.
This seems a bit unfair. My Chinese colleagues are always speaking Chinese and it’s the same with the others. I don’t go around getting offended for every small conversation they have without me.
- English is the official language in US, so Indians must talk among themselves in English as well? What kind of logic is that? And irrespective of the topic being gossip or not, if they are talking in a language you don’t understand, it means that they don’t consider it important enough for you to understand what they are talking about, so shouldn’t you move on instead of eavesdropping and trying to divine the topic of their gossip? Of course if you are part of their discussion, they should not speak in Hindi, but I suspect they never do that. Stop being an entitled brat who feels that he has to understand everything spoken by everybody around him all the time.
- Funny isn’t it. Typical white supremacist toxic American mindset. Anybody who works in America, of course their native country must be shithole. Only America is a true glorious country. That is why it is the playpen of paedophiles. Where bishops and padres fuck underage teens for breakfast and still get the support of majority of people because they are brainwashed. Where bishops and evangelists are sent to other countries “to spread the word of your lord and saviour” and end up getting shot by native tribes. Where children go to school not knowing whether they will come back home safely or get shot by a white “lonely” terrorist. Where school shootings are an every day matter. Where half the economy (which is what enables them to stand tall) is run by mongering war in other countries to give them “freedom”. Where people are so dumb that they elect Donald Trump as president. Yes. Of course America is paradise and India (or any country which is not America) is shithole.
As for the assimilation bit, I totally agree that immigrants must assimilate. That does NOT mean that they have to forget their own culture.
- Nope. On the contrary, the enlightened people went and settled there and it benefitted from the congregation of the enlightened souls from the entire world. Manhattan Project happened because all the Einsteins and Neils Bohrs and Heisenbergs and Paul Diracs congregated there. America has always benefitted from this congregation. That is what has propelled it to superpower status. For it to call other countries as shitholes now ( the same countries from where the best people congregate there and continue to make America stronger while pushing their native countries to future decline due to brain drain) is pathetic. Reeks of hubris.
And as for your nativity, please don’t compare Middle East to India. India has its share of problems of course, but do not even begin to bracket India with Middle East in terms of talent, cultural impact and most importantly, human rights. I know Indians are treated like shit there, that does not mean India is a shithole, that means your country is a shithole.
- Sub par, see, you mentioned it right there. “Culture”. As the joke runs, what is the difference between bacteria and America? That if left for 200 years, the bacteria will at least develop a culture.
Your country might have had a great past 1000 years back. But now it is worse than hell.
- I’ll speak what ever I want with my friends in or outside the office. When I’m with Indians only in the office I’ll speak with them in our native language even if that’s work related. That’s because we are simply more comfortable with it. The fact that you just assume that Indians just want to gossip about you in Hindi shows how small minded you are. We have better stuff to do and even if they were talking shit about you do you want to know?
I’ve said this already, but if there is someone else non-Indian who does not understand me during work then I will definitely speak English as everyone should. There’s a difference between being unprofessional and just being normal
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Umm, Indians talking among themselves in their native language makes them uncivil? That way, all Americans who speak English are uncivil as well, right? Given they English is their native language? Or do you have the delusion of grandeur that anybody not speaking in English is automatically uncivil? 🤔
Flagged by the community.
- Google BarksdaleOP - Why do you speak Chinese with your colleagues in a mixed company of non-Chinese people even when you know how to speak English?
- Actually Indians except telugu people usually speak English most of the times. Reason being they come from different native language and even if they don’t they are use to speak in English even back in India. Its the people from china, Mexico and South America usually jump to their language as soon as they see their fellow countryman
- seen those shit happens most in indians, sometimes chinese, and irans
- Proofpoint / EngNo moremoreI see my coworkers talk in Tamil... intentionally.. to make repo with out doing any work