I’m trying to understand what the benefits are specifically when using race as a hiring criteria.
TOP 91 Comments
- Apple / Eng ʞɹɐԀǝldd∀moreDifferent races bring different ideas and perspectives. Just like different nationalities and genders. They view the world differently.
- Microsoft bxtG88Because our companies are focused on physical diversity but are opposed to diversity of thought.
- Lol people are complaining about race now? Most diversity efforts so far have been focused on women and not so much race. How many black and Latino people have you seen in your office? You’re just looking for an excuse to start a racist thread to make yourself feel better.
- Revinate / Data JPQBest candidate is subjective. No interviewer or team can truly pick a best candidate. Meritocracy is not practiced, because we do not believe people are who they are on paper (resume) or in an interview.
If candidate A was marginally better than candidate B, to some of the interviewers, and candidate B happens to remind more of the interviewers of someone they know ; A will not get the job at most companies.m, most of the time.
Diversity guidelines are relative to remind everyone to: not just pick the tallest, most attractive, most outgoing candidate; not just take the person you get a better "feel" from or think you will get along with better, because that can be highly based on them having a very similar background to you (i.e languages spoken, place you grew up).
Merit hiring doesn't exist. People's biases derail it subconsciously. You need conscious reminders.Apr 4, 2018 0
- They are trying to match the representation of their neighborhood outside tech in order to serve them with more tailored products
- Every diversity writes loops difficulty. Some use for, foreach, while, do. Company wants to diversify the code base.
- Netflix GghhjjkkThere are literally no negatives to having an ethnically diverse team. The positives are obvious though.
It’s common for “gangs” to arise at workplaces and often these gangs are formed based on different ethnic groups. Eg indians, chinese, etc.
What if you join a team where this is less of a factor? That’s the reason for diversity hiring.
- Credit Karma JohmyBecause major tech companies get tax incentives from cities and city governments justify this by saying that tech “creates jobs”. But then if the majority of jobs are all going to college grads who are relatively similar in backgrounds and generally move into the area... the tax breaks and google busses and “Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital” start to look like a kind of apartheid situation for the local poor and diverse populations being pushed out by housing prices.
But there’s an alternative to diversity programs. Tax the “disrupters” and invest in housing and education (all that money will just be invested in bubbles otherwise). Without that, there’s an additional alternative... a mob rolling French Revolution style.
- Boeing / Eng stoopiderLarge US Government contracts typically require things of the contractor's hiring practices (ethnic makeup reflects the local available pool of candidates) and subcontracting practices (% to woman owned, % to minority owned, % to small, % to veteran owned, etc).