Barely grew by 10% YoY. How do Googlers perceive that and how worrying is it?
TOP 30 Comments
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Because it’s a relatively mature firm, it’s core product/source of revenue is pretty much a commodity, it doesn’t innovate anywhere near the extent that it used to, and every likely “next” primary source of revenue is either dominated by, frankly, more competitive market participants (AWS) or is years away from being entering the consumer market (Waymo, assistant devices that can make appointments for you without a fake demo)
- Apple is not far behind, you know it is going flat when Warren Buffet is buying.
Google's hiring practice says hire the perfect generalist, I mean leetcoder. So you will not get people who has been doing good specialized work elsewhere instead of leetcoding. It is now the new IBM. Look at Fi, Nexus and Pixel phone, Verb Surgical, project loon, all half baked and not competitive.
Amazon at least will take chances of people and pip them if not working out. Apple will at least hire specialist and not let them transfer sround.
- Microsoft dotmeAmazon got over their mistakes, learned everything they can from it and moved on fast.
In google you get rewarded for ideas and prototype shipping. In Amazon it’s about sustained business success. That’s why google then and now has one money maker (search) whereas amazon has many.May 29, 2018 1
- Just give you an idea. Amazon and Apple pretty much split and took almost all the Palm engineers when they shut down. Amazon used that team for Kindle and then fire phone, then echo and Alexa. Apple use them for the backbone of the iPhone iPad and watch team.
Google didn't get any of them, probably because none of them leetcode, then they got the father of iPhone along with some of the better iPhone engineers after buying Nest, and let it go stale doing thermostat and security camera. While buying LG and Huawei phones for Nexus and end up boot looping with no fix. They ended up buying HTC and hopefully those HTC guys will fix that fuck up.
Who is the bigger joke here. Leetcoders are not the specialists Google need to turn their shit around.May 30, 2018 1
- Facebook / Eng Leo MessiBecause it’s profit margin is shrinking. New businesses they run are of lower margin as well
- Nvidia BingoooWell..let’s look at PE ratio! Google is around 30ish and amazon is around 300..basically means investors are not interested in what google does/will do..google should learn to finish tasks/products better..pixel may breathe a new life, but I’m not a big fan of the direction..
- Research Now / Eng HooohaaaAs far as I know none of the things google had done in last 5 has picked up. They only seem to be playing a catch-up game by copying features from either Amazon or Apple. They only appear as the very cool AI company but with no good new products. Everything is past glory.