I know we are the lesser paid engineer in general but what are some reasons why WE ARE BETTER than our flashy counterpart? I know a lot of us exist here! Let's not get trolled and start listing why we are better/cooler!!
TOP 111 Comments
- No competition, seriously not many want your job. I deal with hw a lot BTW
- Uber Anti-MageI have very high respect to folks designing the hardware. Lack of recognition in the industry detracted a lot of talent and stalled innovation in this segment. Hope it will be disrupted some day returning healthy competition. Tired of watching behemoths like intel hiding behind patents.
- Intel MistaPottaHW bar is higher. For HW, you need to take:
Multivar/Vector Calc, Linear Alg, Diff Eqns
Physics - electromagnetics is something that kills most of the people who even think about doing EE/CE, modern physics is a whole different story
And then there's the whole EE curriculum.
You can't leetcode that sh*t
- I wonder why all you smart hw people dont get into sw and get paid a lot like quarter a mil. Bar is lower that should be easy. Just do some LC. You guys think you are the only ones using higher math. Sad. I respect hw that's where my background is and I have ms in both ee and cs. And to it's not the hw bar is higher but the information is more expensive and hard to reach. You can't just so stuff at home and learn in hw. In sw literally everything is no cost. Free courses etc. But another thing to consider is recently most of the innovations are from sw side. And even with a mediocre hw if you have good sw you can achieve reasonable performance using parallel programming and shit but if you sw is shit no matter how many core your processor has it's no good. So rn sw is popular in bc of all these. But time may change that.May 31 5
- Nvidia ethercoinGender is software and sex is hardware, so it's unclear which one is better
- Athenahealth jRfJ36Hardware is more fun. Especially embedded when you can do a little of everything. Design the circuit, pick components, lay out the PCB, build it, program the MCU, make LEDs blink. What's more fun than that?
Job market blows though.
- INPHI hesheHW engineers dont steal data from users and call it data mining selling to other companies or using it for advertisement
- Because you cannot deliver shit and fix it later...
Because your mistake cost a lot...
Because you don't release every week...
Because we can't move hw to cloud...
Because if hardware had the mess that is hidden inside software, each mobile phone would be equipped with its own nuclear power plant and we will leak power plants because of race conditions...
- Axon / Eng hfccuuYeah, there's probably 10 software developers for every software engineer. That's why "it just works" is a mark of software exceptionalism. Whereas no one mentions when the hardware "just works". (unless you write drivers, then you find the hardware never works quite as expected)
- Hardware is better if you don’t need software for that hardware like a knife or saw.
- Microsoft ccmbrwaterI was hardware engineering major and started as a hardware engineer then quickly switched to firmware for a while and then quickly to software? Why? Better pay and easier to get to big corps that could afford getting me a green card asap. Also I found the job easier at entry level (not so much now) I have a lot of respect for HW, but market dictates the game and SW is where you can ship fast and pivot fast and be flexible and clone your product az zero cost. HW is relatively more consolidated as a discipline so you need less innovative engineering per project, kinda the same way civil engineering has consolidated and you work with better and bigger building blocks as an engineer, obviously to a lesser degree.
- Hardware is amazing, you guys let me write shitty code and still get paid a lot! But... it just doesn’t scale.
- It look like you think that hw you paid once and thene it is there for you... For ever.. Apparently hw manufacturers make shit load of money after sale... They hold you by your balls... You need them for support or you go and get new hardware from someone else and he will hold you by your balls...
And when they decide that your hardware is too old, they stop supporting It and you pay again...
And the shittiest code we write... The more hardware they sell... 😜
- Magic Leap sunday3Hardware has a higher bar on expertise compared to software.
However, the commoditization of generic hardware products is much stronger, so the price is cheaper which squeezes the industry.
Software is also closer to the end-user in the value chain. Which makes a lot of value to be capture by the software running on top of the commodity hardware.
And because the next incremental dollar spent on software tends to capture more value, that’s where the investment, competition for talent and and TC grows faster.
Now, when the software layer is hyper optimized and the incremental next dollar goes to hardware, you also see an uplifting on HW TC. That can happen in more niche applications.
- Pure Storage / R&D HFIT71Were hardware engineers paid similar to software engineers a decade ago? I.e. before this big salary bubble started.
- Intel (⌐■_■)Around 2001, right after the 1st dot com bubble burst, the salaries for entry level HWE and SWE were comparable. But top tier SW firms like Google and MS paid better than top firms like Nvidia and Cisco (yes, Cisco was a top tier company back then) even back then. SW companies started to pull away comp wise after the Google IPO in 2004.
But the real SWE salary bubble started around 2010 after the 2008 housing bubble dust settled and the successful lawsuit against Apple, Google, etc for the now illegal non-poaching talent agreements. And when FB got into the fray and aggressively poached Google engineers with higher pay in mid to late 2000s.Jun 1 1