Why is it that white people aren’t stereotyped when a white person does something stupid?Mar 14
Every day I come on here, there’s some poster who has an experience with a person of a particular race, and then feels the need to ask why everyone of that race does X.
“My Indian colleague was very aggressive to me. Why are Indians so aggressive?”
“I had a Chinese interviewer ask me weird questions. Why do Chinese people do this?”
Just off the top of my head, and just last week, I had a white coworker come 30 minutes late into our team’s most important monthly meeting without telling anyone, and also had another white coworker come into work smelling strongly of weed. I, like most reasonable people, didn’t automatically assume that their ethnicity had something to do with those actions.
Why is it then that people regularly and consistently do this when it comes to non whites?
- Oracle dronedI’ll help you.
Why do white gals like pumpkin spice lattes? Why can’t white guys jump?
- I don’t think it’s true that people don’t do this for whites. The stereotypes though tend to be more regional rather than race related. From the quirks of accents in the south or California to things like level of politeness or manner of communicating in the north. To the stereotype of redneck in smaller communities. Plenty of generalizations for everyone I think. I’m sure for some it’s motivated by inherent racism but I the base notion noticing patterns of behavior or ascribing incorrect patterns to groups is a human being thing.
- They’re comparable insofar as they’re stereotypes. And ones that are applied to white people. There are plenty of examples of other insidious stereotypes that aren’t based on race, religion to name one. From my reading a summary of your argument is that it’s bad we don’t stereotype white people in a more hurtful and vile way. I don’t see why anyone should care as long as we all work towards taking the measure of individuals as they are without judging them on the basis of their ethnicity, race or another group affiliation. I feel that most people wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment.
- You’re suggesting that white people get a free pass from being labeled.
And, since when was it ok to objectify someone’s skin color as a single flat color? What is “white” race anyway? All people “not-black” or anyone who you can identify as “your oppressor” is white?
Those are two very screwed up stereotypes white people have to put up with right there. All the time too.
- Not true. One of my friend cheated on his wife and they got a divorce. I was telling this to another common friend who happened to be white. He briefly paused and asked, 'Do you think white people marriages have more infidelity than any other race'. I said 'No, it happens in every race kinda politically correct explaination', even though at that moment I thought may be what hes saying is true. Stereotype. #NotProud.
- Google engg1Same reason for why black americans are called African American, while white Americans are not called European Americans.
Also same reason as why eating sheep, cows, pigs, goats is fine while dogs, cats and horses is not.
It's because dominant group defines the culture and set the terms for what is right/wrong.