I don't get the big deal around the focus on women right now. Why are there so many women support groups. There are tons of organizations...within my company, news feeds, advertisements... Being thrown in my face, asking me to join ( I'm a woman). I'm sorry but I still don't get it....why do women all of a sudden need all this support? Doesn't everyone go through shit/unfair scenarios/struggles of their own regardless of their gender/race? Different kinds of struggles sure but we still all have struggles of our own in one way or another.... All this talk about women need support and women need to do more, or deserve more and stuff make me feel uncomfortable. I don't know... Just tired of hearing about this subject all the time....
TOP 46 Comments
- One example why women need support groups: young women planning family. They go, give birth and leave workplace for many months. Afterwards obody supports them in advancing their careers when they are back to office as its obvious they wont care about career any longer. Why do women need to choose career or kids and men don't?
- Not trying to act stupid... But who expects women to give up their careers? Are you talking about the woman's husband? Isn't that between them to decide? Or are you talking about the women's parents? Because yea I can see that happening but women, like everyone make their decisions and can not listen to what their husbands/parents want if they don't agree. Isn't that just being an adult?
- AMD 5nmmoreI couldn’t agree more!!!! I think these groups do the opposite of helping women — their wide engagement makes men (and even other women) doubt women’s qualifications for a particular role! Is a woman in a particular leadership role (C-suit or Board) because she is the most qualified person for the job or because she is a woman? (I am a female.)
- The problem is that a woman has to show with many more facts than men that she is qualified, accept it or not. Some groups are wrongly done, I agree, but still some teaming up helps for the same reason as associations of category, class-action, governments, societies are born. When men were in the exclusive groups, did any woman questioned their qualification? Therefore why when women are nowadays part of selected and restricted groups should be considered non- qualified? This simply shows a non-capability of accepting not staying anymore into the middle of the world from men. Again, same fact, but terrible consequence for men and women.
Btw, I know amazing man who treats women equally to men and even supports them in the research of their role models and and the stengthening of their role in the society - this to ask sorry to you guys If i sound a bit against you; please it is not.Nov 15, 20180
- Microsoft Zzsm43Sounds like you've had a great experience and don't need extra support. That's awesome. Don't join those groups. Many talented, strong women don't have such great experiences. In fact, they have such negative experiences, they end up leaving tech to save their sanity. It depends on where you end up and who you work with, but not everyone gets to choose. So those women need extra support to help them stay in tech.
If it doesn't apply to you and you're not interested in helping others with less stellar experiences, just move along. Different people have different needs.
- Boeing / OpsAirbusDemonizing men while victimizing women with no regards to reality. Thats the how democrats earn their vote
- Expedia %ObviouslyLet me give you an example: recently a friend of mine was being harassed by her manager. It got so ugly she was terrified of him. HR didn’t do anything. She was told this has never happened before. So she shared her story within the support group. Turns out 2 others people had reported that same person on other occasions for the same thing but they were all told that they’re the first ever to bring this up and HR swept it under the rug. It took all 3 of them + the head of the support group + a female VP from that same support group to actually force HR to investigate this guy.
It later came out that he was fired his previous job for the exact same reason.
This is why women need support groups -they are not believed, and when they are, perpetrators get away with a slap on the wrist. There’s strength in numbers and until situations like these are handled at all levels swiftly and fairly, people will need the help and support of others.
If you’ve had good experiences and haven’t required the help of a group , then I suggest you join one and help direct people to the right organizations, the bosses that you’ve had good experiences with, etc.
- Amazon / EngBig_fishmoreThe fact that you feel you are doing well without those groups shows that these advocacy groups are working. That, combined with commitment to diversity hiring and strong female leadership at IBM. But not everyone is so lucky. The places that need the women advocacy groups the most are the places that don’t have them.
- Amazon / EngnewbananaYou’ve faced no problems or prejudice? Great. Say thanks to all those women who have put great effort in that.
- IBM obdybbtu... I faced assholes in life that made my life more unpleasant. Sure. You always deal with people who just don't like you...for one reason or another, in the workplace or school. And yes I'm grateful for the women in history that fought for our rights to vote, and so on. Other women have helped me no more than men have in my career....in my case it's mostly been men who have me a shot at an opportunity, took a chance on me, took the time to teach or train me at work, .. So no... I don't think women (age 35 and younger) as a group TODAY should get any special thanks... All people in the workplace in general helped in making a great working environment.Nov 9, 20180
- Microsoft TrumpWinsIt's a product of the long term political strategy of democrats. They need to pander to identity groups to drive them out to vote. So for example, when Obama was president they started to agitate black people and race relations worsened. Now since Hillary ran (and especially since she lost) they will pretend there is a war on women. If there is ever a gay candidate for president, there will be a guaranteed "wave of homophobia" across the country
- OP - bravo for speaking out. 👏
I recommend you watch this brilliant speech by Candace Owens. It reiterates your point really well.
- Galvanize qDxF17https://www.sciencealert.com/women-s-code-found-to-be-better-than-men-s-but-is-rejected-unless-they-hide-their-gender
Also the famous blind auditions for orchestras which bumped up women in orchestras from about 5% to 30%.
You're not affected bc your you don't recognize it or you fit well into the patriarchy.
You're also white or one of the "desirable" Asian nationalities.
Older women need support bc ageism, women, and tech have factorial negative impact.
Younger women need support bc they're going to be overlooked for leadership bc they're "inexperienced" while their male counterparts will be deemed "promising".
The great expanse of mid adult women need support bc they've now trained their mediocre junior men to be their bosses. Because they've noticed that when an indispensable women leaves she's replaced by two higher paid men. (At 1 job a woman retired and they replaced her with a new executive and 2 staff positions) pretty sure she was paid less than any one of them.
Also, yeah I get it. Women don't need more women to "mentor". We need more opportunities to lead. More opportunities to fail as individuals instead of as representatives.
Also, you're white, right?