I will be working in Seattle in a few months on H1B. I'm thinking of coming back to Vancouver on the weekend to keep my PR status (need to stay in Canada for 3 years every 5 years in order to get citizenship). Here are my questions:
(1) before moving down to US, anything I need to prepare? Anything you wish you've known at the time?
(2) for anyone who experienced or is experiencing this "weekend in Canada and weekday in US", how's the experience? Anything I need to be aware of when crossing the border?
1. the weekends are not enough to keep PR. Count the number of days you can stay in Canada, it probably won’t meet the 3-year every 5-year requirement
2. What’s your visa in the US? H1? And what’s your country of birth? These will have an impact on your status in the near future.
3. For me, the experience was good - with a NEXUS card, going back and forth is quick, no question asked at all, just a ‘welcome back’ from the officers. And I enjoyed every visit to Vancouver with family and delicious food in numerous restaurants