YOE 1 TC 220
I'd like to take a minute to vouch for my employer who is most of the time bashed on for one reason or another.
Note this post is based on experience of a new grad.
We are a pay for performance company. Though our base may be average (115k for new grads), our bonus is 45% of base if you meet expectations. It goes up a lot higher if you're great. Our initial stock is alright too (150k over 4 years).
2. Work life balance
People say culture was bad a few years ago, but it must have improved a lot since then since I'm comfortable here. Hours are reasonable yet everyone I know is productive. Haven't encountered any snakes.
3. Technical problems
Obviously this depends on team and your preferences, but I've been happy with my projects as they have been visible, fun, breakthrough computer science problems.
A company can't be all good. The food, albeit free, sucks. The recruiters are liars (I joined thinking I'd be a millionaire a year after IPO, it's gonna take me twice as long LOL) but they're liars at every company.
But all in all, now's a great time to join Uber. Hmu!
YOE 1 TC 220
- Well. To each his own. I can still have my own opinion on Uber based on my experience of it and that doesn't have to match with yours. I am pretty sure you would agree with me once you get a taste of real world. Google also has tons of issues which you may not know in school (neither did I), but that's the reality. Nothing can change it. You don't need to feel blessed. It's not like they are doing you a favor by giving you a chance to interview. Stand up for yourself and have some self respect. They will give you a chance to interview and an offer may be because you deserve it and they would love to have your services. Nothing else.
- Juniper / Eng sixpack“Culture has improved so much in the past few years.” And, also YOE 1.
- Bonus - 45% of base? You mean only the cash part is around 60k. That looks like a lie.
- What? Sorry you aren't making any sense here. Your TC increased each year because of the vesting from previous grants and the new one that you got last year. Your annual refresher is 9.5k. Tour refresher in year 4 is not 38k, but total vesting is 38k, which is accumulation of previous 4 refreshers.
I gave you my number in my first year at G.
- @verysundar, you seem very salty. I work at Uber and have worked at Google in the past, in a pretty influential position. I can tell you that salaries at Uber for similar levels at Google is higher. About your 3 times rejecting Uber, any person in his sane mind won't reject an offer which makes financial sense from a company which has the potential to be a tech giant, so likely you had average interviews which you might have felt great in. BTW i see a lot of ex-Googlers doing just OKAY in our interviews.
- Lol. Company which has potential to be a tech giant? Lol. That stock price hasn't moved an inch for last 4 years now. Uber's growth rate is lesser/equal to all of the FAAMG with one tenth the revenue. Can you explain why?
Exactly salaries at Uber are higher because how else do you attract people to a loss making company whose future heavily relies on ability to raise capital.
- Google yellowshitTell this to your mommy / daddy to get an atta boy or atta girl. Don't Tell it to us as we all have a friend who works at Uber with whom we smoke weed or get drunk together. You should hear what an Uber employee says when you get him drunk. That's the truthiest of truths you'll ever hear. Drunken man is an honest man
- Okta doll$hYoE: 1 year. Already wants to be a millionaire when joining uber. What’s wrong with new grads these days
- Uber / Eng fvDA28moreOP, I am glad you are loving your time here at Uber! Love your enthusiasm.
Blinders are going to grill you because you are making an assessment based on very little data. There is a lot of variance in everything you said, and that's ok. We are not perfect, and in fact nobody is.
What I do sense from your post is: 1) that you have a great team 2) you are working on something you find meaningful and 3) you got a good comp package.
Don't worry too much about the freebies. When I was a new grad, it was all about the perks, but right now perks are prob at the bottom of the list hahaha