I’m planning to move to Miami, but I work in Fort Lauderdale.
I was hoping for some insight, I really wanted to live in the city and know there’s a commute, but would appreciate additional perspective.
- Citibank / Eng SprinklemeMiami is an absolute dump. The people are awful and the streets are dirty. Stay in ft Lauderdale. Las olas Area is nice if you can swing the payments. Some of the southern broward county beaches are nice. Hollywood and Hallandale.
- Shopify / Eng PplskillsThere’s a Microsoft in miami? What’s the TC in Florida like
- Facebook / Eng kerbyFlorida used to have a good tech scene up till the 90s, but it died a death of a thousand cuts. Miami in the last few years is starting to become a decent tech hub, mainly due to it being an important international business travel hub. It also has FIU locally and FAU 50 miles north for talent. The pay likely still be low by west coast standards though, a good starting salary would be like 70k.Oct 28, 2018 0
- Airbnb / Eng kgb👌moreI know a L5 making 110k base no equity just 50% 401k match. Thing is you gotta have a car, buy your own food at work, pay high electric bills cuz of AC running 24/7, and it rains 6 months out of the year but not Seattle rain like torrential downpours. Also if you're outdoorsy you'll hate it, even if you can stand being out in 90F with 100% humidity you will also be eaten alive by mosquitos. Your life will be AC home to AC car to AC office maybe beach once every 6 month because u will feel guilty for not going.Oct 30, 2018 0
- Beckman Coulter tfOL08Commute is tough in Miami. Find out that specific commute at rush hours before making a decision. You could regret it.