The front-runner for Dems is a trump supporter?
The front-runner for Dems is a trump supporter?
- Microsoft 🐙M🐙moreBiden wants to stop illegal drugs from coming to the US., Trump wants to stop Hispanic people from coming to the US. But yeah they’re totally the same 🙄
- Which quote, he said it a couple of times.
Reporter: "The neo-Nazis started this. They showed up in Charlottesville to protest --"
Trump: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves -- and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name."
(In case anyone forgot, the people protesting at the statue had tiki torches, physically threatened non-violent protesters from some inter-faith group, chanted “blood and soil” and “the Jews will not replace us.” I was against the Iraq war but if I had shown up to a protest and people were chanting stuff about antisemetic 9/11 conspiracies... I would have left or counter-protested. There were no neutral statue-lovers among the neo-Nazi side).
- It’s not true first of all (who are “good people” who go to a protest, see a bunch of Nazis and still decide to join in?)
Second it’s racist for downplaying racist terrorism. It was also racist when liberal pundits made similar arguments in the month or so prior to Trump making that statement.
People like Trump get mad if Obama called Islamist inspired terrorism “extremist terrorism” rather than “Islamic terrorism”... and yet when neo-Nazis organize for weeks to internationally scare people; when a right-wing online culture of jokes about driving over protesters leads to a white supremacist driving a car into a crowd; when far right websites organize surrounding a black church; when white power street gangs openly talk about using the protests to beat up black people and gays and then do it.... “well really this was just a confusing thing with both sides at fault... and definitely not terrorism”May 11 3
- No, IMO immigration policy is racist. Supporters of that may or may not be bigots individually - but it dosn’t matter much. Same with prison and policing policy.
I thought you were trying to point out that “Pro-immigration” is vague, so I tried to clarify the more specific views of the pro-immigration sentiment (or anti-anti-immigrant sentiment... but that’s cumbersome.) The “pro-immigration” umbrella: larger parts of the pop are now against repression, but only a minority is in favor of amnesty.
- Lol, “how is this racist — if you put aside the most obviously racist parts?”
These laws were created on fears of Yellow Peril and that Italians and Jews were politically undesirable. The southern border was - and still often is - used in order to keep farm labor without rights in the Southwest. These laws and policies are designed for population control and this plays out along national and racial lines and class lines.
Liberals tend to think when Trump says people are rapists or come from shithole countries that he’s being racist... but in many ways he’s just being blunt about the role of immigration laws. That’s basically the difference in RNC/DNC on immigration... one side uses mean words, the other side uses nice words, but they both buttress a repressive system.
- Lol, and I’d expect goalposts to be attached to the ground, not meandering around attached to a jello cube on roller skates.
How would you use data to show the underlying ideology behind 90 years of policy? You can show the effect (rather than ideology) through data: that it is much easier to immigrate legally if you are not poor and not from certain regions.
But for ideology, I think you kind of have to look at the origins of those ideas and laws, who was arguing for and against them and what interests they had. You have to look at —shudder— history.
- As a liberal immigrant, I do think better border security and processes are needed. Trump’s approach of a big expensive wall is just stupid; its purpose seems to be more to rile up his base and put US taxpayer money into the pockets of steel industry executives.
- Its risking his primary chances. The primary opponents will now highlight this.
- Nah, Biden’s always been conservative and an anti-black race-baiter... that’s why Obama picked him: to reassure bigots in the DNC that an Obama presidency wouldn’t be a threat.
The relatively conservative wing of the Democrats love anti-minority race-baiting as much as Republicans. Hilary Clinton voted for border fences and recommended that European centrist parties crack down on migration. It’s called triangulation... taking a right-wing policy but making it sound more acceptable to liberals and thereby outflanking the Republicans.
So when these people take “conservative” positions - it’s not unusual at all, it’s the norm. It’s only shocking if you believe FOX News style straw-men arguments about the “far left” Democratic Party.