i know there is a hiring bar for external hire, but if someone performs well and get internal promo from sde1 to sde2, does this person also can get similar comp as external hire? in other words, can i also get 250+ if i get promoted to sde2?
new hire sde1
tc 195(145 base)
- Amazon blinders-onFor Amazon, the external hires need to be better than 50% of people in a role. For internal promotion, you only need to meet the bar.
- Amazon blinders-on@dkricns: Yes, the promotion bump is usually small because your target comp on promotion is close to bottom of the band. Ideally, you are supposed to be promoted as soon as you meet the bar for next level. Regardless of the promo raise, you will most likely see your base go up to max base as the promo stock award usually vest only after 2 years.
- When you're being hired as an external candidate, Amazon has a much higher bar (must be better than 50% of existing staff at that level) and is theoretically competing with potentially many other companies for your talent. Once you join Amazon, all Amazon is competing for is for you to stay with the company rather than quitting, and Amazon HR is rolling the dice and betting that your existing TC is enough to make you stay.Aug 26 1
- The company already has you as an employee so there is no need to bump your TC up much as there's very often significant lethargy when it comes to interviewing for another job elsewhere and every company knows it. You can be an exception to that, and try to get a better offer elsewhere if you want better TC.
- Almost universally no. Companies will not pay you more unless the market demands it irrespective of promotion. Get promoted, then get a competing offer at that level.