Joining facebook as e5 post 15 years in msft. Slightly worried. Will I be able to cope up? Any tips on coping up. I have a month before I join. Any tips on preparing, culture. I am worried will I even clear the boot camp or survive 6 months. Any experiences from folks who have done similar transitions
TOP 28 Comments
- Facebook wrxXv73V8kAs someone who has made a similar move, as long as you go into it with an appropriate sense of humility and emotionally prepared to make significant adjustments, you’ll be fine. You’ll probably learn more in your first year than the previous 10.
- Similar situation. Wondering how a middle-40 (heading to tombstone in the eyes of young tech folks?) can adapt at the first few months? I should add I still feel smart and can learn, but definitely my energy, ability to concentrate, and my memory in general are getting worse in the past several years.
- PayPal StrikePWorking in shitty companies like Paypal, oracle or msft makes you feel old and dumb. My brain is almost dead. I was waiting for my I-140 and I will get it soon now. I will start crushing interviews from now!
Once you get in a fast paced environment, your energy, ability to concentrate and memory will go up automatically!
- I am specifically looking for tips on technologies to ramp up on
- Cimpress / Eng Lts088You’ll have plenty of time to ramp up during boot camp. Assuming you are a generalist and aren’t assigned to a team, you wouldn’t know what to ramp up on yet anyhow — there are tons of different technologies being used at FB and a bunch of internal tools you’ll need to learn.
- Fitbit YoJLoYour yardstick is broken, why is the goal to fit into a monoculture? You should be yourself and of you don’t like it, leave; don’t force yourself into the culture. Facebook is the ultimate hype machine. What products have they ever built internally? People go for the cash money and perks. Never heard anyone say they went for the mission cause it’s bull. The what’s app founders just left bc they disagree with Mark and Sheryl. And they should. FB is great if you are a follower not a leader.
- Microsoft / Design 206wrkrHave fun and be stoked to be out of the place. At least you’ll build products vs. PowerPoints.
- Really ?? What "products" are built at Facebook? Other than various new ad pipelines (and apparently a new Dating app - SO innovative) - not sure what the lure of FB is.. Facebook user engagement is actually dropping last couple of years..
I understand you get paid handsomely - but do note most of ur pay is RSU from ad money - at some point regulations will catch up to it.. and then we will see what FB does..