got an offer from uber, 450k tc
currently make 400k at netflix all cash + 5% of salary in options on top of it.
option one - join uber, stock price is low, lots of career growth and potential for growth.
option two - show this offer to netflix and get a raise. in the long term netflix will have a hard time but for now its a safe bet.
No trolling please. i really want to know how bad things au uber are. netflix stock just dropped from 400 to 290
i’d appreciate word advice or an explanation from uber folks as well
got an offer from uber, 450k tc
- Netflix agkW36OPCan u please also explain why Uber is bad? It’s extra 50k after all and less taxes to pay! All cash is not always that great.
- Microsoft / Eng cholicalWhy not do both? Ask Netflix to raise and then decide. I guess you might burn some bridges
- Uber BMm24This is the highest 5a offer I’ve ever seen. The stock price is so low right now that you’ll do better than many people from 4 years ago. Amazing upside from here if you believe in the company long term. Also great this is 5a because there’s more room for growth if you perform while this would be a bottom tier offer for 5b, and you would be compared to to other 5bs during reviews. Culture/WLB is fine. Everyone’s experiences are team specific, though. Morale is low because people are concerned about the stock price, but if you’re willing to stomach short term fluctuations and accept that risk, you’ll be fine. Comes down to whether you believe in the industry, like your Uber team, like your potential projects, and are looking for a change. 400k cash at Netflix is a great place to be in still.
- Go to Uber. The work will be hard and the hours long, and you’ll be surrounded by investment banking type A engineers.
- Uber casketStock is all time low. If the value doubles in a couple of years your TC will be worth a million. In Netflix, your TC will not fluctuate.
If you believe in the company and are willing to bet on it, then it’s a good opportunity.
Morale is low here because of the news about lay offs and stock price going down day by day. Good talent is interviewing.
I am interviewing with Netflix right now, mind if I DM you?
- Netflix sandSerifYou really want to deal with Uber’s culture? I’d seriously consider the downsides of leaving Netflix’s open culture, freedom & responsibility, etc for a 50K raise. Plus we’re about to go into comp review so you are most likely going to get 450K or close to it anyway
- Don’t join Uber. They close everyone on equity and growth opportunities. I’d stay clear of this place until mid-2020. Let everything settle down before joining.
- Netflix bojackedEng Manager @ NFLX here - tell that to your boss ahead of comp cycle and they'll match it at the least (without question). Uber isn't worth switching unless you're having major problems or badly needing a change.
- Netflix salary growth is pretty aggressive due to rising market values and improving your skills due to projects you work on. For me personally I doubled my salary in 5 years to be near $500k now.
- Uber gRtV35You won’t get access to the equity until you’ve passed the one year mark. So if you consider Uber you’ll have to cinch the waistline during that year if you’re used to the paycheck that Netflix brings in.