Especially in Bay area tech companies, is it illegal to use cannabis out side work , and would that be part of new employment screening .. What are your experiences..
- New / Engjo2305I dont use cannabis or other drugs but if a company asked me to submit to a drug test I would refuse as that is a red flag and an invasion of my privacy
- Dude it’s California. The weed culture was kind of invented there - even before it became legal in the state. And weed is far from the only drug people do there.
Steve Jobs famously admitted he did LSD and believed that made him more creative at his job.
Just don’t do stupid stuff. Remember Hotel California? You can check at any time you’d like but you can never leave...
- Divide the amount of money invested in a software product by the number of lines of code. You’ll likely discover that it costs around $1,200 per line of code to maintain a piece of software.
It’s not illegal, but as a hiring manager, if I have to fix code someone wrote poorly because they were stoned or drunk they are immediately fired. Usually a lay-off, so they can collect unemployment, but they are removed from the team.
If your drug and alcohol use causes financial damage through bad code then why would anyone want you on their team?
- 1. You can’t legally fire people for being alcoholics. It’s a disease and you can’t fire people for that.
2. The point of the post was about using cannabis outside of work. Cannabis’ effects last 2-3 hours when smoked, and normally around 6 hours when eaten. So by the time you’re back to work you’re fine.7d0