- 2007-2008 Financial Crisis?What was your “oh shit” moment? The moment when you realized that something was amiss, whether that was before, during, or shortly after the crisis?
- How much should you have saved in your 401KI wanted to get your thoughts on this and try to see where I am at compared to others. According to what I read, they say that one should have 1x of
- US equity trading from IndiaI would like to trade US stocks and S&P 500 Index ETFs like the ones available in Vangaurd from India. I'm not able to find the right path forward to
- Personal CapitalIs anyone a client of Personal Capital? If so, can you share a bit about your experience?
- Vanguard personal advisor services reviewHave you used personal advisor services from vanguard? What is your experience? Is it worth the 0.3% management fee? Thanks!
- How do I invest $1M in cash?I recently inherited money from my parents. We are in 30s, both me and spouse work in tech and make a decent living. We already have a house in Bay ar
New / Engbornofthem
- Contribute to Spousal Traditional IRA? Hi, I contribute to my 401k and ROTH and my wife doesn’t work. TurboTax says I can get additional $825 refund if I contribute to a spousal traditiona
- Is it always better to have a mortgageI read something recently that year one of a 750k mortgage would net you 17k on an average interest rate in tax deductions? Can anyone verify this or
- Rollover previous company’s 401k?Noob question here.. I think I have 4 options for previous company’s 401k: 1. Keep it as is 2. Rollover to new company’s 401k 3. Rollover to traditio
- Any good budgeting / spending tracker apps?Ideally I'm looking for something which can just scan my credit card statements and auto categorize them with good filtering options.
Amazon / Engyuyuyuy
- Rental incomeI'm thinking about buying a rental property in Memphis. Do people who own rental properties, buy it on their name or form an LLC? Any tips?
- What to do with deferred compensation?Just got my deferred compensation check because I left. What is the smartest thing to do with it?
- How did you make your money?If you have over $2 million liquid and weren’t born into a wealthy family, I’m curious: how did you get your money? I would love to hear your specifi
Airbnb / EngEatrium
- Besr Pre-IPO StockIf I want to invest 10K in Pre-IPO Stock, then please suggest. Palantir/Betterment/Hyperloop/Slack/Blue jeans or any other
- What's the benefit of an IRA if my income is higher than tax deductibleI read articles online and all said having an IRA is good. But I dont get it. If there is no Tax advantage what's so good about it
- How much % of your assets are in USD in your bank account ?Just trying to understand how everyone here manages their finances. For me I have 40% of assets in USD in my bank accounts. Rest is stocks/other inve
eBay / EngAlpha
Dell / Other$5.99
- Best lendersDo you have any hot tips on best lenders for mortgages? Besides the main players, are there any other good ones?
Facebook / Engyomi
- 401k Withdrawal for Home Purchase - MSFTHi! Has anyone at Microsoft withdrawn 10k from their 401k account with fidelity for a home purchase? This is supposed to be a non-penalized withdrawal
- Is it worth to get money from India and clear mortgage debt here?I have $650k mortgage loan. If I get money from my property from India and clear the loan , I can save the interest money and remove monthly payment b
- PollIs it a good time to invest in short-term bond funds?If yes, which ones? If no, why? And when do you think it may make sense again?
- Subprime mortgages are back!Rebranded as "non-prime loans". Hold tight folks, we all know how this is going to end. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/12/sub-prime-mortgages-morph-int
Salesforce / Engkhosla
- How long to establish sufficient credit rating to qualify for a mortgage?Let’s say someone is fresh off the boat. How long would it take for this person to build up a decent enough credit rating to qualify for a mortgage?
- PollWills and Estate planningDo you have a will or a full estate plan? If so can you recommend cheap/free and easy places to do this?
- Banks have too much money. Rant.They are trying to give home equity line of credit at less than 6%. Already have a mortgage at 3%. This is way below market appreciation. Federal rese
- Training Your Mind in Volatile MarketsTitle says it all. Good read from Investopedia, subscribe if you aren't already a subscriber. Great financial resource. Here's the article: https://w
Return to Your Power1username
- Put protection for volatile RSUsHas anyone done this? Do you think it’s a good strategy to do when your RSUs that haven’t vested hits new highs?
Twitter / EngTastycat
Google / EngSpindles
- Why doesn’t Amazon split its shares?The price per share of Amazon stock has become unpurchasable at $1436. Why don’t they split the shares? Who is going to invest a fortune just for a f
- Tax implications of Qualcomm class action lawsuit reimbursementMy wife received a check related to the class action lawsuit settlement. She is also thinking that there was a tax document that came with it. We cann
WalmartLabs / Engdata_ads
- Why does the market always go up?The general consensus seems to be to invest in low cost index funds. However, that strategy seems to assume that over a long time horizon, the market
- Advice on investmentLet’s say have 50k to invest in a safe investment strategy. Any good pointers on ETF or mutual funds that give a 3-4% return with minimum risk ?
- Friend moving to USA from India, any investment advice for him before he move to USA One of my friend is moving to USA after working in India for 15+ years. He has invested in MF, SIP, stocks, PF, PPF, FDs, and has own house in India.
- Head of household for tax purposes on W4..Hi, I have my parents living abroad and I solely support them. I'm single right now, no kids. Can I claim allowance for filing as head of household i
Apple / EngPulmagoo
- Good investment I recently joined as. SE 2 at PayPal . I am opting for 401k and ESPP but apart from that I wanted to know which are good investment options ? Like ove
- PollIs it a good time to invest in REITs?If yes, which ones? If no, why? And when do you think it may make sense again?
- Returning to India in the next few months. What to do with 401kI have around 300k in 401k. Returning to India in next 4-5 months. Can stretch to max Jan 2019. I have below questions. Can anyone please take some
- After tax to Roth 401K or Roth IRA?My current plan doesn't have a brokerage option, which is the advantage of the IRA. I do think ERISA protection is important, but wondering thoughts o
- Recommendations for tax consultantWorking on H1B in Bay area. Indian citizen. Please recommend tax consultants that can help in saving tax.
- What is Facebook, Google, and Uber's after tax 401K policy?Does Facebook, Google, or Uber allow you to contribute a fixed dollar amount or percentage of your salary to after tax? I'm assuming after tax is poss
- Apple reporting innovations (FP&A) team?Is anyone familiar with this team? What does the interview process look like for it? I liked the folks on it during informal chats and would love to w
- Finance guys. How many hours do you work in a week? Also how much time do you spend commuting? What's the work life balance like
- Joint-filing: ~35k$ more Tax?Recently married. Tried joint filing on Turbo Tax. It’s reducing the refund by ~16k$ for each of us. Is there something I could be missing? Will try
New / EngFjbrbf