- Are you really a tech company if.... Google changed the benefit landscape as we know it offering insane perks and eventually other tech companies followed suit. But not all did some "tech companies" to this day still don't offer free food. Which in my opinion doesn't make you a true tech company. There are essentially three things yo
- Do we really expect people to solve Hard questions in 45 minutes without prior knowledge or help? Doing some leetcode on my Sunday afternoon and I'm tackling #42. I was able to get the naive n^2 working in about 10 minutes but I dont know if I would be able to synthesize the optimal solution under pressure on a whiteboard without help. Are all our new faang candidates just preparing a ton so th
- Does Amazon has an unfair reputation? Started working with amazon 6 months back and was mentally prepared to have a hectic WLB. Had heard rumours about the “toxic” culture. On the contrary, I have had a good work life balance, have learned a lot and I like the fact that my team and manager have high standards for the products we own. I
- Facebook Seattle A Fb recruiter reached out to me for a role with a team in Seattle that is going to be pre allocated . I am sure I dont want to move to Seattle. Should I tell the recruiter straight up I wouldnt want to move and look at other roles. Or should I give my best for the interview and if they want to move
- vote Best corporate culture Which company among FAANG has the best corporate culture? I could tell u now from my experience that its not Apple. Lmao.
- is uber worth joining now? Hi Uber folks, is Freight worth joining now given a l5 offer with 350k? @uber
- L6/E6/Staff- what % of time you code? this
- vote What is the biggest driving force in this world? The biggest!
- Asking out the help Has anyone ever asked out the baristas, masseuses, cafe workers, personal trainers, etc at work? Obviously they are all being friendly as part of their job, but curious for success/horror stories on how this went for people.
- Offer to move to Canada I am an Indian citizen working for 10+ years in msft with no chance of GC anytime soon. I have an offer to move to Canada, what do people here recommend? Pay cut is 20%, but I am wondering if that will pretty much limit my overall career in the long run.
- Isn’t Canada a great place to retire ? Indian SWE on H1, I can’t get a GC in the US due to the country cap. I am planning to make money on H1 as long as I can, when Uncle Sam asks me to leave (extension denied, laid off or recession), I can just move to Canada, take some chill job and semi-retire immediately. Canada has free healthcare
- G recruiter asked for programming language for interviews the recruiter asked me which language I am comfortable with to use during interviews...when I said C#, he went a little hesitant and asked me if I am comfortable with Java. He reluctantly agreed to look for interviewers who can interview me using C#. I thought that was a little odd. Why is the lang
- Leetcode at 40+ I’m 40+ IC SWE and planning to move out. Am I a loser to still be doing leetcode at this stage and age of my career? Tc 400k L66
- 401k, IRA, HSA done. What next? 401k maxxed at 56k total this year. ira also maxxed at 12k. hsa will be maxxed by year end. what other tax advantaged ways remain to stash away more for this year?
- Resume Samples After another year at IBM and nearing my retention payout I’m looking to update my resume and see what the market is like. I’m struggling a bit to keep my resume concise (1-page) and have meaningful descriptions covering all my experiences & projects. Wondering if anyone is willing to either share
- None of FAANG are ethical companies The only reason I work at Google is because it's the least unethical (or maybe Amazon is?). They all seem to monopolize your time and get you addicted to their product(s). Imo (and others might disagree), it's just as unethical to work at FB as it is to work at Raytheon or another military contract
- Airbnb Ghosting? Completed both on-sites at Airbnb and was told that the feedback is all positive. Since then the recruiter is missing in action, the last time we spoke he said something about h2 prioritizations and they will be moving slowly. What does this mean? Folks at Airbnb u know anything about this? Should
- link Uber announces layoffs of 400+ people in product/eng https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/10/uber-lays-off-435-people-across-engineering-and-product-teams/ how are my uber bros? anyone impacted?
- link Does this mean without drivers, Uber can conduct business as usual? CNBC: Uber says drivers aren't part of its 'usual course' of business. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/11/california-passes-assembly-bill-5-for-gig-workers.html Funny how their lawyer can say that with a straight face. That's why their TC is so high #uber #lyft
- why software companies pay so high only in the US ? Why don’t they pay you as much as the US for the same job level ?
- Current state of OCI Seattle? Little over an year back I got OCI and Dropbox offers. The base and stock was similar but OCI didnt have cash bonus. Also Dropbox vibe felt much better, so I chose Dropbox. Now I am kind of getting bored at Dropbox and was thinking if I made the right choice. maybe I should reach out to hiring mana
- link AB5 law what next!? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ab5-bill-passes-california-approves-ab5-bill-that-will-turn-uber-lyft-gig-workers-into-employees/ Shorting Uber big time what's everyone's thoughts?? Is this is the tip of the iceberg??
- Does anyone *rent* their primary home but *own* a cabin? In the Bay area, where owning a home is either very risky or has a low value prop compared to renting, I often think it would be a lot more sensical to buy a cabin somewhere *now* with cash -- something I can actually afford -- and continue to rent for my primary residence. As opposed to renting for
- Masters in CS which does not suck life I want to do a online master's program in CS/IT/DataScience which does not suck my life. I want to have some time left for my 2 teens and family. Please suggest.
- vote What are your monthly expenses? For a family of 4, I am spending almost 7000. Bonus money is used for some random expense or vacation.
- Uber's engineering team still seems way too big. Please leave Uber engineer bashing on those other threads. I'm asking about the business model and don't have any beef with any engineers anywhere. That said, I don't understand what Uber needs 3000+ engineers for. Even post-layoff org size seems way too big for what the business needs and can supp
- Looking to make $10M pre-tax from my next gig I want to make roughly $10M from my next gig over 4-6 years and then retire and become stay at home parent. What is my best option to achieve this dream ? Pls share your suggestions and reasoning. Here are the options I could think of : 1) Start my own company and be a founder (I have some ideas, h
- How do you skip the coding challenge? I noticed that some companies would let me skip the coding challenge if I have a combination of the following - Referrals - Competing offer deadline But it's still a bit hit and miss. Does it get better with experience/seniority/prestige? TC: 160 + 50 signing, new grad
- Great LCOL offer or FAANG for new grad? In my senior year, trying to decide where to go. Got an incredible offer on an innovative team inside an F500 company in a fun and LCoL area (Houston). TC per year is 160/120/150 (3 year vest), great benefits. I love the team, but am nervous about name recognition and opportunities to learn from sen
- Does LinkedIn have a cool down period? Manager from different team reached out I interviewed with LinkedIn about 3 months ago and didn’t clear the tech screen via phone. A manager on what looks to be a different team reached out to me to apply. Can I interview again or will there be no progress once he knows I was recently rejected.
- Democrate or Repuplican? I don’t like the idea of being Democrat or Republican. I like conservative idea on economy and taxes. I want to increase legal immigration and totally against giving away citizenships to illegal immigrants. I am pro choice and believe women should have rights to choose and I don’t think individuals
- Best order of interviewing companies (taking into account speed, wait times, etc.) Looking only at Seattle area companies. What's the best order of interviewing, given that some like G are super slow and AMZN is super fast. I've come up with: 1) Interview at tier 2-3 for practice. 2) Interview with G. When go for G onsite, start sending in applications for FAANGMULA. 3) So when
- Tesla S refresh?! Any idea when Tesla model S refresh will be available? Should buy now or wait for the refresh?
- Dear Reporters please help The daughter of Uber Chief Legal Officer TW got into a plum job with a fancy title and level disproportionate to her experience. She joined within days of Dad’s joining. She does not come to our office building 685 and is not known to have done any work in the past two years. The CLO is the height o
- How you calculate your TC? I think of it as base + stock awards + bonus + 401k match + HSA match. Is that right way to calculate TC when asked by recruiter?
- vote linkedin or google new grad? better starting point?
- Good companies at Amsterdam for SWE I know Uber, Booking and Databricks. Any other companies that have OK TC in Amsterdam?
- whats the highest TC engineer’s job in software ? in terms of technology, programming languages? example: is it ML/AI with python, java api backend, full stack, java, python, js iOS frontend swift or what else do you think is the hottest and top of TC bracket for any good company? I’m still new in my career and would like to be driven by TC,
- Counter offer options for Google L5 PM I have a Google L5 PM offer but they are lowballing. Which public companies (apart from FB) will pay decent money that can be used as counter offer to get better comp at Google? TC- Google offered 300k Location Seattle YOE 12 @Google @comp @pm
- I'm so lonely... In Seattle. Not just talking about finding a female partner (although that's a big thing), but just having friends in general. I HAVE NO FRIENDS. HELP ME. Even 5yrs after moving to corporate life I'm still having problems adjusting socially. I can't have friends at work especially with #metoo these days. I g
- vote Google or Facebook has higher caliber of engineering talent Google, Facebook, or unicorn has the best engineers?
- Trading youth, health for money. Is it worth it? I have been at FB 3 years I am trading my youth and health for money. If it wasn't for TC I would leave on the spot. It's a few years gig till I hit $1.5M nest egg. For people in their 40s, would you trade 4 years of 20s and 30s for $1.5M? I am 29 now another 1.5 years to go before I hit $1.5M TC:
- Amazon relocation/visa expenses repayment Do you need to repay any expenses related to relocation/visa if you did an international transfer and leave Amazon after 1 year ? Couldn't find any info on 'Inside'. TC : 185k
- G recruiter asking for Microsoft level! normal? Just got off my first call with G recruiter. He was asking for my Microsoft level, which I felt was a little odd. Is this normal? Whats the best way to respond to this - do you disclose or decline to reveal?
- Software dev to UX vs. Software dev to Data Science (1) A or B is better transition? (2) A or B has better career outlook in the next 3-4 years? (3) Quantitative UX Research or Data Science has more market share? A. Android developsment --> UX related (UX research, PM, etc.) B. Python, Spark, Java development on a ML/AI team --> Data Science Gener
- What happens behind the scenes during/after a tech onsite? Going through the interview process as a new grad right now and was curious what goes on behind the scenes at and after interviews. What sorta things are my interviewers writing down? Do they give a binary hiring recommendation or is it more of a scale? Are they evaluating me on multiple categories?
- vote Ideal tech-related job suited for sloppy creative Which role would be tolerant of a person endowed with high calibre of language abilities, but prone to producing occasional bugs? (repost due to lack of sufficient votes in other poll... it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission)
- AWS L7 to MSFT 67 (Product) Expect an offer from Microsoft for L67. Is that a up level or moving sideways. mentors suggesting not to move unless there is a partner level role (68) to adequately compensate for the move away from AWS given my tenure there. Years w/ AWS: 8 Total YOE: 15
- Coworkers excluding me Majority of people I get to meet at work are nice. However there are some of them in my team who makes me think like what have I done to you to be treated like this? I wanted to get along with coworkers and not having anyone to go with lunch sometimes makes me depressed so I join lunch with them ma
- Non-recruit policies among FAANG? Do recruiters have non recruiting agreements (explicit or not) to not recruit from other firms?
This page is only accessible by
employees from specific companies.
Please sign in to find out if you have access!
employees from specific companies.
Please sign in to find out if you have access!