- Fastest way to US citizenship (for german) What would you recommend if optimizing for speed of gaining US citizenship (or at least: GC)? Also considering I eventually want to switch jobs, ideally to FANG or the like, rather sooner than later. 1) Apply to FANG directly in US and go there on H1B 2) Apply to FANG in Europe and try to transfer
- vote Dealing with relationship situation Guys, I need help. I'm female, 33, TC 350k. I've been in a relationship with this man I completely love for around 4.5 years. I'm in SF and he lives on the east coast, is completing his PhD as of end 2019 in mathematics. The topic of marriage has come up and we are running against a wall. He want
- 1M+ TC, 99 percentile earnings in tech, how to get there Compared to medicine, 99 percentile earnings in tech (~450k) seems to be lesser than p99 in finance, management and medicine (1M+) (source: 80000 hours website) Since I'm an SWE atm with 200k at FAANG in Europe, and have low utility for an additional 200k of income (60% savings currently, earning t
and industry lounge.
- Comparing job offers Company 1 in Gurgaon, india: 40k base+4k performance bonus+3k joining + 1.5k usd 1st year retention bonus. Company 2 in Amsterdam : 74k base + 7.4k performance bonus + 25k usd stocks over 4 years and 7.5k usd relocation pay. Gurgaon is really close to my family home but I also want to be able to
- Do you have guns? Why / why not? Title says it all! Let us know where you live and whether you have guns or not and why / why not! Curious to see how many people are owning one and why / why not. Let‘s get started: Live in Europe, don‘t own one because it‘s hard to get one and you don‘t need it at all, because of the general safet
- I got the feeling I'll never be financial free before 67 years Living in Western Europe. TC: ~60k€; ~4yoe :(
- vote Should India split up into separate countries? Should India split into countries that speak their own unique languages? Like for eg all Hindi speaking states would be their own country and all Tamil states (really just Tamil Nadu) would be it's own country? Or maybe North India can be a separate country and South it's own? Wouldn't doing this
- vote ... I was fired at FANG after four months of work. Shall I include it in my resume? If I don’t include it, will I be revealed during background checks? I am confused. Please help. Yoe: 1 Tc: 58k non-tech Europe.
- Why do Western Europeans not like the US? Like the title says. I have spent 1 year in Europe and one thing I noticed was that most of them have a slight disdain for the States. I am not a citizen of the US myself to take this personally or anything, but I am just curious as to why this is so. Usually in other parts of the world, people aspi
- Why TC in Europe is laughable? I wanted to spend a few years working in Europe, where my grandparents came from. After searching around, I found TC there is generally laughable but COL is definitely not low. Why?
- Can a slow engineer succeed? I think I am going to be fired I have been working at my new company for 2.5 months now, I am currently in my 10th week. I came from a systems software job and I am doing backend work. It is an entry level position. My manager rips me apart in code reviews, which is a good thing. But I am majorly fucking up everywhere. I feel inc
- Where would you live in Europe? Looking for a change of job/city. Which city in Europe is the best to live in terms of TC, quality of live and potential to save money for a Soft. Eng. with 15 yoe? Current TC: 70K/Barcelona
- link Muslim family dragged out of Belgian embassy in Beijing by Chinese police Show some spine, Europe. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/18/muslim-family-dragged-belgian-embassy-beijing-chinese-police/
- Eurozoners - TC & Net worth? Can the people in Europe please share their TC and NW and YoE as well as city? Edited (due to TCorGTFO): TC 350, Bay Area
- Places to apply for in Europe I'm planning to apply for new grad positions in Europe (I'll be graduating my MS in CS from a top-5 school in the EU). I'm interested in pursuing a career in the general area of computer vision. Does any of FAAMG have an office in Europe in this area? Are there any other places you recommend applyi
- Is the Muslim problem really that extreme in Europe? I watched a couple of videos in YouTube that talk about how the muslim population there is trying to impose sharia law. Yes, I am not stupid to believe this but I watched a few interviews of some people who were talking about how the way westerners dress is inappropriate and they should dress like
- Google Team Matching before HC for 2 months I have been told by the recruiter initially (before any interview) that Team Matching will be done before HC. I had the normal 4 onsite interviews but I had problems in 2 of them (so I didn’t do well in them). The recruiter scheduled another 2 interviews for me after he asked me to explain the issu
- Too much rate race, I’m miserable!!! Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!! I can’t take it anymore, this rat race is miserable as fuck, all day every day I have to take bullshit from everybody, idiotic manager, backstabbing team mates, moronic team mates, team mates smarter than me who make me feel dumb, ... Even the work itself is not as fun as it
- Is it worth to move from Agoda to ING I got an offer form ING Netherlands (Leeuwarden office), I am right now working at Bangkok. In terms of salary, there is not much difference of on-hand amount (after deductions). I never been to europe before, Is it worth to move ?
- How much you have after taxes and rent? I see have a lot of big numbers if TC in the USA, 180k, 200k, etc. As I guess, it's before taxes and rent, which are the biggest expenses. How much you have TC, and how much you have after rent and taxes? I'm from Eastern Europe with 2 yoe, TC 24k and after taxes and rent 13k.
- Do I need visa stamping? Hi, I currently work on H4 EAD which expires in August. My company filed my H1b and it is approved. I will be working on H1b visa starting October 1st. The attorneys (Fragoman) aren’t responding to my queries so I am going to reach out to someone on Avvo. Thought to check here as well. Question: I
- Which girl should I pursue? Met two girls recently (in person, via friends/coworkers, not dating app) One is new grad (Finance intern): pretty, cute, sweet and bubbly . Kind of fun to hang with, although we usually don’t have a lot of serious stuff to talk about other that the usual events or up coming plans. But we are also
and industry lounge.
- Should we move to a another country other than US? Married couple. Both Indian. I’m on H1B, and spouse working on H4. We’re very concerned about the current immigration situation at US. Indians can wait 15+ years to get GC, and there’s no freedom at all. H4 is gonna be canceled as well. Plan to move to another county, but not sure where to move to..
- American girls opinion needed. No matches in dating apps in the US! I got around 40 matches for model like girls in Eastern Europe in around one week while the quality & quantity I get here in the US is just depressing. Maybe I do not meet the American girl profile for dateable guys?
- vote Do you floss? I literally don't know anyone who flosses here in France, not even in Europe. I often see it referenced on Blind and other places. Do you floss?
- Programming jobs outside of USA How much do you get working in europe? Is there any countries with salary comparable with US? Any chance for European developer to get remote job in SV?
- link China luring US scientists & students While US is busy making intellectual immigrants wait for decades for their greencards AND extreme vetting the fuck out of them, China is slowing luring away top talent. I think is this great for the world US and Europe will get some serious competition. This will only accelerate the Chinese economy
- link Temperatures of 35-40 Celsius expected to grip Europe next week China is stepping up its hoax game. Blinders of Europe how is your government coping with climate change? BTW that's 95 - 105 in freedom units. https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/20/temperatures-of-35-40-celsius-expected-to-grip-europe-next-week
- Why people whine about GC so much I am seeing a lot of people from India expressing their frustration with the GC backlog. While I understand that it sucks, curious why are you guys so upset about it? Software engineer salaries are insane in the US, you can work on H1B here for a few years, save and retire early somewhere else lik
- Why are Americans so much better than Europeans at software? SAP is the only big software company in Europe and biggest by far, 10x revenue of second largest European software company. SAP accounts for 1/3 software revenue of European companies. And guess what? SAP is the biggest pile of horseshit ever. Why Europeans are so bad at building software?
- Need some solution for my relationship Lot of smart people here, so can someone help me out a bit here regarding my relationship woes. I am on F1 visa here from Asia and my girlfriend is in Europe and a citizen of an EU country. We are looking at ways to be together after she completes her studies in September. If I leave for Europe,
- vote Paris in flames: Who is responsible? Paris is undergoing major riots lately. Who do you think is responsible? https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/12/02/paris-erupts-into-flames-violence-insurrection-in-third-week-of-yellow-jacket-protests/
- vote MS in US vs B-school in Europe? I'm working as a software developer for almost 4 years now, and after working in the India offices of two American tech. companies, I'm not impressed at all, to say the least. The compensation and benefits might be much better than many other opportunities, but the politics, poor work and not so gre
- Solving the problems of the border Problem: we don’t know who is entering without proper documents or how many. Solution: open borders, get rid of quotas and restrictions so that all migration is more straight-forward. There was no issue with illegal border crossings until the US put a limit on Western Hemisphere migrants which incr
- link Plea to Google engineers to oppose Russian censorship https://email@example.com/plea-to-google-engineers-to-oppose-russian-censorship-e8dd56179867 Google has started scrubbing its search engine to comply with Russian censorship laws. Under these laws, information that the Russian government arbitrarily considers “undesirable” may be censored. I
- From where I am standing (Europe)... ...I really get the feeling that the clever, smart, funny and compassionate people with a decent moral compass seem to be democrats and liberals... And the fact that republicans and Trump are doing so well in the rural areas is because he fires up the people by telling them it’s ok to hate those go
- Why moving from US to some other country is considered better than returning to India? Blind posts suggesting Indian Origins in US for next destinations as Canada, Australia, UK, most countries in Europe, Singapore, and everything but India (and China).
- Google offer for Germany Hi! Just got an offer for G Germany for an L4 position. Base: 80k Bonus: 15% Stock: 16k (65k over 4 years) All numbers in euros I think base looks good but stock grant is very low. Also, I was thinking on pushing back and ask for a sign on bonus. Anyone from G Europe that can chime in? I’d like
- Should we relocate to Dublin, Ireland? Currently work for a mid size public company (not apple) with $300K TC and 8 YOE In bay-area. Have an offer from a company in Dublin, Ireland for a TC of ~ €165K (110 base + 55 stocks/bonus). Motivation to consider the move is that we have been in the US for about a decade and want to try something
- Living a dream life I sometimes wish to leave this routine run to the mill life of an engineer, this rat race of TC!! I more than often dream to move to some small coastal town( ideally in Europe) and own a small mom-and-pop business ( cafe or something) for sometime and then get back to engineering if that doesn’t wor
- vote What kind of students do elite US colleges prefer? US university applications seem to want applicants all to be 'leaders' - team leader, project leader, community leader, founders of companies, etc. By demanding leadership experience on the applicants' resumes, is the US universty education implying that leader is uniquely superior to other roles so
and industry lounge.
- Cheap but usable travel laptops? I'm travelling and backpacking Europe and SE Asia for a few months and need a recommendation for a cheap but usable laptop. I need something cheap because there's a high likelihood of it getting damaged or stolen in hostels. I'll mainly be using it for coding (maybe some freelance work), booking f
- link The happiest country on Earth Democratic Socialism makes people happy and cheerful https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/world/europe/denmark-migrants-island.html
- Who identifies as “white”? Ive heard Americans say things like “as a white male ...”. I’m curious if that’s how anyone sees himself? Most people that are called “white” come from families that originated in different countries in Europe and I assume they share some of their ancestors’ culture. The reason I ask is because me
- Ex is a manager now My current manager left my org and new manager hired is my ex. I was surprised to see him in US(he was in Europe) and my bad luck to meet him again as my manager. I love my job but don’t know what is gonna happen. Our story in short- broke up with him in 2015 after 3 year long relationship when i f
- What are top paying companies for an Amazon SDE-3 in Europe? I am currently working in Amazon India as a SDE-3. I am thinking to move abroad (specifically Europe) for a few years. What are the top paying companies and total TC that I can expect?
- US vs Europe Why such a big difference in gross salary between US and Europe? TC of 400k (for senior roles) as employees are completely out of question in Europe. Cannot be just taxation and welfare. Then if companies have access to cheaper labor why they do not grow faster than in US? Why European companies do
- Zoinks! Gf opened the idea of open relationship So here is some background, I work in US and she lives in Italy. We met in 2017 while I was there and eventually started dating. Then I left for US later that year and since then we see each other for a week or two every 3-4 months in different locations. Today she said something along the lines th
- vote Would Africans colonise Europe if they could? Say Africans invented ships and guns first, and then would "discover" Europe on one of their voyagers. Would they do to Europe what Europeans did to Africa?
- US to Europe Wondering if any one of you made this transition. The salaries in Europe(Germany, Poland etc) seem so low compared to USA The average salary here in FANG would be at least 150k USD base(this too is down leveling it). How much would a 150k salary map to in say Frankfurt, cologne, Krakow, tettnang e