- vote Dealing with relationship situation Guys, I need help. I'm female, 33, TC 350k. I've been in a relationship with this man I completely love for around 4.5 years. I'm in SF and he lives on the east coast, is completing his PhD as of end 2019 in mathematics. The topic of marriage has come up and we are running against a wall. He want
- link Norway has crazy people...... and some of the tougest gun laws in the world. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49308016 https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jul/24/norway-strict-gun-laws-circumvented
- Why does the East have such a huge problem with corruption, authoritarianism, and human rights? The Indians and Chinese I know are all smart and kind people, then I look at the countries they come from: what a shit show. Every government in Asia is either a dictatorship or deeply corrupt. We have our flaws in Europe and North America but the Asian countries take it to a whole other level of
and industry lounge.
- vote Assuming a 100% remote job, why live in US instead of Europe? Are there any benefits staying put in the US provided you were hired by a 100% remote international company based in the US? P.S am white
- Fastest way to US citizenship (for german) What would you recommend if optimizing for speed of gaining US citizenship (or at least: GC)? Also considering I eventually want to switch jobs, ideally to FANG or the like, rather sooner than later. 1) Apply to FANG directly in US and go there on H1B 2) Apply to FANG in Europe and try to transfer
- 1M+ TC, 99 percentile earnings in tech, how to get there Compared to medicine, 99 percentile earnings in tech (~450k) seems to be lesser than p99 in finance, management and medicine (1M+) (source: 80000 hours website) Since I'm an SWE atm with 200k at FAANG in Europe, and have low utility for an additional 200k of income (60% savings currently, earning t
- Do you have guns? Why / why not? Title says it all! Let us know where you live and whether you have guns or not and why / why not! Curious to see how many people are owning one and why / why not. Let‘s get started: Live in Europe, don‘t own one because it‘s hard to get one and you don‘t need it at all, because of the general safet
- Has anyone been on a solo trip to Europe? i have been very busy all these years with work and being a mom . i have an active 4 year old who keeps me busy after work, and has been very difficult to find my ‘me’ time. My new job has a good vacation policy( there is no policy) which i want to ulitize before. Moms here - Have you guys been on
- Jamal Khashoggi’s murder This is highly disturbing. This Saudi born journalist working for the Washington Post was pretty obviously murdered and dismembered within 10 minutes of entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul for what was supposed to be an appointment regarding his marriage while his fiancé waited outside. 15 Sa
- Hottest Tech Startups in Europe/Canada What are the hottest startups in EU/ Canada region? Been planning to make a move. YoE: 7 TC: 160k (not SV)
- vote Should India split up into separate countries? Should India split into countries that speak their own unique languages? Like for eg all Hindi speaking states would be their own country and all Tamil states (really just Tamil Nadu) would be it's own country? Or maybe North India can be a separate country and South it's own? Wouldn't doing this
- Move from Europe to US What is the best way to move from Europe to US(I am Indian/Chinese national with a top European MBA, and on a business role at a tech firm)? I am very interested in working in tech in the US.
- Women’s empowerment in N. America & Europe is a BS cause! With women in these regions of the world being the most privileged in the whole world, why does western society continue to keep pandering to them? Why don’t they get together and send delegations to spread their gospel to their sisters in societies where women are treated as, at best, second class
- link Muslim family dragged out of Belgian embassy in Beijing by Chinese police Show some spine, Europe. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/06/18/muslim-family-dragged-belgian-embassy-beijing-chinese-police/
- Why do Western Europeans not like the US? Like the title says. I have spent 1 year in Europe and one thing I noticed was that most of them have a slight disdain for the States. I am not a citizen of the US myself to take this personally or anything, but I am just curious as to why this is so. Usually in other parts of the world, people aspi
- vote ... I was fired at FANG after four months of work. Shall I include it in my resume? If I don’t include it, will I be revealed during background checks? I am confused. Please help. Yoe: 1 Tc: 58k non-tech Europe.
- I got the feeling I'll never be financial free before 67 years Living in Western Europe. TC: ~60k€; ~4yoe :(
- Advise: 33/Male/Married - Don't feel like having kids, too much of responsibility I'm well settled in the bay area with my wife (31) - both are working as engineers, total income = 450K. WLB is great for both of us, we hit the gym after work, hang out on weekends with friends or go for hiking/biking. Enjoy 3 vacations in a year e.g. Hawaii, Europe, Tahoe, NY. We don't feel lik
- Why TC in Europe is laughable? I wanted to spend a few years working in Europe, where my grandparents came from. After searching around, I found TC there is generally laughable but COL is definitely not low. Why?
- Is the Muslim problem really that extreme in Europe? I watched a couple of videos in YouTube that talk about how the muslim population there is trying to impose sharia law. Yes, I am not stupid to believe this but I watched a few interviews of some people who were talking about how the way westerners dress is inappropriate and they should dress like
- Indian Citizenship to German Citizenship How much time does it take for an Indian techie citizen to become a German citizen? Can German Citizens work anywhere in Europe? Are there any restrictions?
- Divorce advice Married 10years (next month), from Europe, wife the same nationality - married in Europe. 2 kids. Three weeks ago wife told me she wants divorce. She says: - that she was unhappy for a while - ~2years, I was dumb and too busy with career to see it. - that she does not love me. - there is no man i
and industry lounge.
- Need some solution for my relationship Lot of smart people here, so can someone help me out a bit here regarding my relationship woes. I am on F1 visa here from Asia and my girlfriend is in Europe and a citizen of an EU country. We are looking at ways to be together after she completes her studies in September. If I leave for Europe,
- vote UK = Pakistan? Is UK becoming more like Pakistan of Europe?
- American girls opinion needed. No matches in dating apps in the US! I got around 40 matches for model like girls in Eastern Europe in around one week while the quality & quantity I get here in the US is just depressing. Maybe I do not meet the American girl profile for dateable guys?
- Which girl should I pursue? Met two girls recently (in person, via friends/coworkers, not dating app) One is new grad (Finance intern): pretty, cute, sweet and bubbly . Kind of fun to hang with, although we usually don’t have a lot of serious stuff to talk about other that the usual events or up coming plans. But we are also
- vote Should we leave free speech alone? Other than "fire!" (insighting physical danger) or direct physical threats, it's a "free country" in the US. You know the saying, "Stick and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me". If you're campaigning to ban words or phrases, why? If absolutely nothing else, it seems selfish to t
- link China luring US scientists & students While US is busy making intellectual immigrants wait for decades for their greencards AND extreme vetting the fuck out of them, China is slowing luring away top talent. I think is this great for the world US and Europe will get some serious competition. This will only accelerate the Chinese economy
- How much you have after taxes and rent? I see have a lot of big numbers if TC in the USA, 180k, 200k, etc. As I guess, it's before taxes and rent, which are the biggest expenses. How much you have TC, and how much you have after rent and taxes? I'm from Eastern Europe with 2 yoe, TC 24k and after taxes and rent 13k.
- Maths student looking for career advice I just finished my BSc in maths and continuing on an MSc in maths. I love coding and I love maths. I don't see myself in academia, I would prefer industry. I've been coding outside of uni. I am now on an SWE internship at Facebook, last year did Amazon and year before that a small company. So, I a
- Compensation between different cities I would like to compare salaries between different cities in Europe. Is there a website that shows for example that typical salaries in Zurich are approximately 2x the salaries in London? How do recruiters compare candidates' offers from companies in other cities? E.g. if you were a recruiter at co
- maternity leave usa we are potentially planning a move from europe to the US , we are just recently married and are planning children in our future (not for maybe 3-4 years) i am however pretty horrified to read about the extremely short maternity leave offered in companies and overall in the US. 12 weeks compared to
- vote Paris in flames: Who is responsible? Paris is undergoing major riots lately. Who do you think is responsible? https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/12/02/paris-erupts-into-flames-violence-insurrection-in-third-week-of-yellow-jacket-protests/
- google Switzerland currently in bay area. i canceled my google onsite here and then applied to google Switzerland because i want to move ro europe. they offered to interview me here for a position there. and if all goes well it will take them 3-4 months to do immigration and bring me on board. anyone done this? al
- Why are Americans so much better than Europeans at software? SAP is the only big software company in Europe and biggest by far, 10x revenue of second largest European software company. SAP accounts for 1/3 software revenue of European companies. And guess what? SAP is the biggest pile of horseshit ever. Why Europeans are so bad at building software?
- Stripe - relocate from Europe to US Hi, how practical is it to try moving from Dublin office to San Francisco at Stripe? Anyone here did that or know someone who did? Do you know what's the internal policy/process for that? Thanks.
- What are the good CS/math schools in Europe? UK has camebridge/oxford. France has Poly Paris. Germany has Tu munich. Any more? I’m asking because I wanna know which schools you should be put high on your resume.
- Why people whine about GC so much I am seeing a lot of people from India expressing their frustration with the GC backlog. While I understand that it sucks, curious why are you guys so upset about it? Software engineer salaries are insane in the US, you can work on H1B here for a few years, save and retire early somewhere else lik
- Should we move to a another country other than US? Married couple. Both Indian. I’m on H1B, and spouse working on H4. We’re very concerned about the current immigration situation at US. Indians can wait 15+ years to get GC, and there’s no freedom at all. H4 is gonna be canceled as well. Plan to move to another county, but not sure where to move to..
- From where I am standing (Europe)... ...I really get the feeling that the clever, smart, funny and compassionate people with a decent moral compass seem to be democrats and liberals... And the fact that republicans and Trump are doing so well in the rural areas is because he fires up the people by telling them it’s ok to hate those go
- Too much rate race, I’m miserable!!! Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!! I can’t take it anymore, this rat race is miserable as fuck, all day every day I have to take bullshit from everybody, idiotic manager, backstabbing team mates, moronic team mates, team mates smarter than me who make me feel dumb, ... Even the work itself is not as fun as it
and industry lounge.
- link Plea to Google engineers to oppose Russian censorship https://firstname.lastname@example.org/plea-to-google-engineers-to-oppose-russian-censorship-e8dd56179867 Google has started scrubbing its search engine to comply with Russian censorship laws. Under these laws, information that the Russian government arbitrarily considers “undesirable” may be censored. I
- vote Red Eye for business when not required? Ok, so obviously going to Europe/Asia etc from the US requires a red eye flight. But, would you take an LA to NY red eye as part of regular travel?
- Gonna lose my girl. Need advice Girl works in Europe. I work in US on visa. Girl finishes her university in December and majored in Aerospace. Due to strict visa policies, strict citizenship requirements for aerospace industry, it is unlikely she will get a job in her field here. Since she just finishes university she does not wa
- Keep studying or working (in Europe) before moving to USA Hello, I’m a french student soon graduated with a Msc of Engineer in Cybersecurity I made a post about moving to the USA, but due to various reasons i probably won’t be able to stay after an internship (if i manage to get one). considering this, should i make a PhD or another MsC (thinking about
- Can a slow engineer succeed? I think I am going to be fired I have been working at my new company for 2.5 months now, I am currently in my 10th week. I came from a systems software job and I am doing backend work. It is an entry level position. My manager rips me apart in code reviews, which is a good thing. But I am majorly fucking up everywhere. I feel inc
- Living a dream life I sometimes wish to leave this routine run to the mill life of an engineer, this rat race of TC!! I more than often dream to move to some small coastal town( ideally in Europe) and own a small mom-and-pop business ( cafe or something) for sometime and then get back to engineering if that doesn’t wor
- Student from EU, internship in US Hi fellas, I’ve been doing some of research for possibly an internship in the US at FAANG-like companies. I’m a second year CS/stats major. Here in the Netherlands internships aren’t the norm until, possibly, your masters degree. I would, however, like the experience. What would one need to do to
- Who identifies as “white”? Ive heard Americans say things like “as a white male ...”. I’m curious if that’s how anyone sees himself? Most people that are called “white” come from families that originated in different countries in Europe and I assume they share some of their ancestors’ culture. The reason I ask is because me
- link The happiest country on Earth Democratic Socialism makes people happy and cheerful https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/world/europe/denmark-migrants-island.html