First Data Career
First Data Career
- Should I lie about not being a transwoman? I’ve been searching for a new position for 6 months now. This is the first year I started openly identifying as a transwoman. People are more than happy to promote my posts looking for work but I rarely make it past a phone screen. I’m beginning to wonder if I should just pretend to be a cis male or
- I Got Into FAANG, Now What? I’ll be starting at Apple in July once I graduate, working as a data scientist in the Services group in Cupertino. This is my first job so I wanted to know from current FAANGers - what’s it like? What should I expect? Also what should I do these next 6 months to best prepare for the start of my ca
- Wonderful experience with a Recruiter Phase I: Interview - I applied online for a senior data scientist role at a large healthcare company in Minneapolis. An internal recruiter directly set me up for a phone interview with the hiring manager. I did well and they scheduled an onsite within 4-5 days. I eventually got the offer within a co
- BLINDWhere can I find more exclusive content on Blind? Sign up to access your private company channel
and industry lounge.
- vote Non-tech people where you at?? Anyone here working in Media & Entertainment that has a stereotypical media and Entertainment role like animator, video producer, video editor? Vote yes if you are present and lurking!! If you are an engineer/data scientist/PM I’ll have a category specially made for you!! If you are in marketing, sa
- Which data science offer? I got 3 offers from three companies for business analyst/data sciency roles. Which sounds the best for my career if I want to make it to FANG as a data scientist in a year or two? This is my first job out of college and my degree is not data science related so I want to make sure I am making the r
- vote L5 Data Scientist Amazon vs. T3 Product Analyst (Data Scientist) Google Dear Blind members, I currently have a L5 DS offer at Amazon with around 160 full comp and Google offered me a T3 Product Analyst in their Photo team. I asked for a 200k full comp in CA to be some what comparable to what Amazon is offering and Google said that won't work and asked me for a slightly
- link Full stack application developer at AI startup vs Senior Data Engineer at Tinder Hey guys, this is going to be my first move from a HW based company to software. I have two offers, 1. Full stack application developer at c3.ai 2. Senior Data Engineer at Tinder Looking for your inputs as to which career track will be better. I keep hearing a lot that Data Engineer roles tend to g
- vote Data science in SWE role at FAANG I want to continue doing data science out of personal love for statistics and curiosity toward open world, research-oriented questions. (Undergrad-level math background, but no graduate degree - so academic/RS job is out of the question.) 1. Is this sustainable for career growth on SWE ladder (to r
- New CS grad needs career advice. I currently in Buffalo and I plan on moving to Seattle or Bay Area in the next 3 years. By the time I leave I‘ll be 33. The reason why I haven’t moved yet is because my girlfriend is doing her residency here. So we’re stuck here for now. Lol So while I’m here I will be trying to get my first devel
- Does anyone believe ad products actually work? Here’s my take on digital advertising after 10+ years in the industry and having worked at Google, Snap, and in the agency world. I’ve personally spent hundreds of millions of dollars throughout my career. ———————————————————— -Attribution is still absolute dog crap. No one knows how to properly
- Two Offers: Weighing Stock Options vs. "Sure Thing" I haven't worked at a startup before, so trying to gauge how likely it is that stock options would work in my favor vs. being a disappointment after 5 years. (Also would appreciate any thoughts about the long-term differences in career path for a DE vs. a PA). I'm currently at Amazon as an L5 BIE.
- Performance and capacity engineer Facebook Got offered a role as a performance and capacity engineer at Facebook. Does this fall under the umbrella of software engineer? Would I be able to transfer to other Software engineer roles internally after a while? I’ve read some posts about data engineers / Analysts having to reinterview since they’
- Opinion on ML at these startups Was reached out by the following startups for positions of lead ml engineer/ chief data scientist. Just wanted opinions on how they are doing, whether it's a good career move. Course hero Mixpanel Bolt Gusto Didi labs I've eliminated those I wouldn't want to consider. Current TC is approx 230k in
- How is working for FIRST? I’m considering applying for a position at FIRST in Manchester, NH. Reviews on Glassdoor are pretty mixed, so I thought I’d post here and see if I can get a few more data points. I’m ok with lower salary (it is a non profit, after all), but I would like to know what the work/life balance is like and
- Path to SDE Been working in data space(BI/Data Engineer) for last 6 years. Thoroughly into building data pipelines in Hadoop environment and been building Infra in AWS for last 2 years. Job involves heavy scripting in python and other database tech. Background is in CS but got stuck in database career due to t
- What if leetcode is unnerving to you! I've been a data guy for first half of my career in service company and was mainly using sql and gui etl tools. However in the second half I started to move towards R and Python for data engineering and science stuff. Although exploratory coding is fine with me I find real time coding during intervi
- Bootcamp grads getting first job (Repost) This is a repost of something that I published under another topic,it got lot of hate and very little useful suggestions. I still have faith in the blind community about getting some help and hence reposting here :-) Repost: "My friend recently graduated from Bootcamp. She is finding it hard to
- Transition into a tech career Hi everyone! First and foremost, thank you for taking the time read my post. Let’s get down to business! I’m looking to transition into a career in a tech related field, whether it be software development, data analytics, programming, coding, etc etc. I’ve been in the banking field my entire career
- Experiences with FDM Group? Had a friend who wanted to switch career to CS/data analyst joined them, he told me he had to sign a 2 year contract with the first 4 months being minimum wage training and if he leaves before 2 years he needs to pay the training fee which is around 30k. Wtf?