- link PM Interview Prep Plan: How I got PM offers from Google, Expedia, Microsoft, and Facebook Five months ago I got fedup with the crap culture at Amazon (needs a separate post) and decided to start working on my game plan for interviews at tech companies. Now, I have three offers from the tech companies - Expedia is travel not in the same league I know. No trolls please. Profile: CS Engine
- Companies with forced stack ranking. At capital one, the leadership decides beforehand the distribution for performance buckets. For example last year, they decided at least 12% would get Inconsistent rating and placed on PIP. The calibration process consists of the managers all getting together and bickering about which employee need
- Companies without stack ranking performance review? Is there a list of companies (not small startups) without a stacked ranking perf review system? I know it’s pretty much the standard in most mid size/big tech companies around the Bay Area today, but there must be some companies with other performance review systems.
- BLINDWhere can I find more exclusive content on Blind? Sign up to access your private company channel
and industry lounge.
- Amazon hiring for PIP Do Amazon managers really hire someone so they can PIP them during stack ranking? Would they really drag someone halfway across the country to do that? I just felt like my interview was insanely easy. Easier than my last onsite at Amazon which I failed. I think last time I just didn't write an opti
- Have you ever had to provide a Stack Ranking? It’s lay-off season and sacrifices are made to the Stack Ranking Gods. What have you seen play into people’s positive/negative ranks? Do you have direct experience with this? Is this really the best way to make cuts? Is the failure of a manager (people not given enough opportunity to perform) e
- Does Microsoft do stack ranking? Does Microsoft still do stack ranking for reviews? I had read an article saying they were doing away with this, but also read on Glassdoor that it still exists. Any insight would be appreciated. #microsoft
- Walmart work culture post Bell Curve, Stack Ranking, specially bangalore? How have things been at WL, heard they have introduced Bell curve and force PIPs this year onwards, have people been asked to go or is it just an experiment?
- How's working at Microsoft w. a family post-Nadella? I'm a 7 year Amazonian contemplating a move to Microsoft for three primary reasons: better benefits & work-life balance without a total comp hit. My current organization has a reputation for not being a place where you can have a family and a successful career, but that feels true for most of Amazon
- What did Microsoft replace stack ranking with... ... and is it making things better for the IC‘s?
- PayPal stack ranking? Does PayPal have stack ranking? Bonus and RSU refresh is tied to the performance review? @paypal
- Non-toxic top companies to work for? What are some top companies where the burden of stack ranking, politics, and back stabbing is not felt as much?
- vote Would you encourage your kids to go into software development/tech? Most of blind is about stack ranking, long hours, loss of wlb, job insecurity, ageism, sexism in the industry, outsourcing to name a few. Granted there are worse professions out there that pay less but assuming your kid asked you this question "daddy/mommy/ do you love what you do and do you think
- link do Microsoft still stack ranking like Amazon？ curious edit: I was reading wiki it says MS doesn’t https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitality_curve?from=singlemessage&isappinstalled=0
- Attrition rate too low? #attrition #Amazon Up until recently I’ve had a great time at Amazon- challenging new projects, lots of moving parts, great team/business partners. After getting a great performance review I get wind of the tone at the top - “Even though you’re performing well, the attrition rate isn’t as high as it should be in your
- Eng managers — stack ranking employees Hi, this is a question to all the eng managers out there. How do you stack rank a high performing team? Do you nitpick at little things that the employee does poorly? Do you compare him/her to teammates and showcase their accomplishments — which may be larger. It’s always a tough convo to have —
- Companies with forced attrition goals Meaning annual goals for what percentage of employees should be managed out. NOT stack ranking used for bonus distribution. I'll start: Amazon
- Stack ranking at Amazon Does %subject% override leadership principles/superpowers in performance reviews? If so, bad managers would abuse stack ranking (tag 'em `LE`) despite good performance. Have you come across this? This encourages team politics/brown nosing, not performance.
- Stackranking Does Zillow encourage there teams management to engage in this unhealthy archaic practice? A truly healthy team will rely on all members. If there is a team for instance that has one developer, PM and QA, and all are fulfilling their role expectations, how can you rationalize stack ranking of them?
- What do the stack ranking designations stand for in the PCS Does anyone know what the stack ranking designations are in PCS? What does TT, HV, HV+, LE stand for and are there other designations?
- How is it like working for Nest? In terms of compensation, growth, and corporate culture? Do they have stack ranking and mandatory percentages attrition? Looking at a SDE position similar to L5/L6 at Amazon.