- 6 yoe in HW validation
- interviewed at Apple, got an offer for L4 [170k/160k/35k]
- got interviewed at Google for their Consumer HW team
Google recruiter said the interview feedback is largely positive and they would want to move ahead with offer after HC review, but said it won't be anywhere near 170k base. They asked me whether I still want to move ahead with 120k-130k base range.
Is this common? Anyone else had experienced similar situation?
- Oracle / Eng zackbergerI didn't know hardware with 6 yoe only gets what swe new grad would get. Fuck that's unfair.
- You might be getting L3. I know HW ladder is up to 15% less, so you might still be L4, but not sure.
You should take Apple - Apple ICT4 is Google L5 equivalent
- Okay that isn’t as bad as L3. The supposed limit on offer is concerning given the L4 level. If you don’t have specific reason for wanting Google (location, name, want less responsibility and just cruise), you should choose Apple. Similar prod area, tight deadlines, but better quality, consistent delivery, higher pay, and higher role @ Apple.Dec 20, 2018 0
- Intel / Ops GMoomoreAre both offers for bay area ? Are you PhD? Be transparent with G (don't bluff on A numbers or you risk losing the offer) and they will beat it regardless of level. L3 is actually good since you will grow fast. ICT4 at A can be terminal grade..
- Qualcomm ic-rfmoreGo to Apple.
Google got into HW without realizing how much 💰💰💰 developing HW costs in terms of equipment and engineering. They’ve started cost saving measures by focusing their hiring in Taiwan rather than the US. Check their job postings. It won’t surprise me that they downsize their HW teams sometime from now
- Autodesk DouP01Lol wow shame on google for not treating their HW people well. This is why their HW market share is so low
- Intel UGeJ58Oh, they are really doing badly by staying out of the HW market? The capital investment is ridiculous and that is why HW doesn't get paid. I spend >500k ~2-3 years for equipment if it's high end electronics. I make a company less than a SW engineer.
*edit: a team of 3-5 may require that money. Beyond 3-5, extra purchases are made or it becomes the construction industry with 1 shovel and 7 people
- Shame on Qualcomm for treating their SWEs like garbage. It cuts both ways. And Google is NOT staying out of the hardware market their data center board designs make them ~#5 on Earth computer maker. But if you want to build consumer products China has sucked all the living wages from that market ....