L5 SDE at Amazon in Austin. Rapidly approaching the 4 year cliff with a significant drop in TC coming. L6 promo probably needs 1-1.5 more years. This is largely due to a reset from org switching, as well as, a lack of desire to compete with my strongly type A peers.
I'm thinking that moving on might be preferable to the L6 promo grind under the cliff year's much lower TC.
- Ideally stay near 275K TC in Austin. Not greedy for additional TC, just want to keep it from dropping
- Would like to avoid environments with strongly type A peers, alternatively have a management who can keep them on a leash
- WLB. Preferably no or minimal on-call (would be a blessing)
- Median team culture friendly. Many of the teams I've seen at Amazon are frigid cold during the day-to-day
Some ideas I've been thinking about:
- Apply to Google in MV (have referral source), work there for a year to build a network, transfer to the Austin office after. The hope is that a top of band L4 offer when adjusted for Austin COL will still be around 275K+ TC.
- Do a 1-2 year stint at some other FAANG or comparable in the Bay, then boomerang back to Amazon in Austin (clearing L6 interview). Not so sure about this given my other considerations about social/WLB/on-call.
- Apply for L3 at Indeed in Austin. I'm not sure if they could match 275K though. Levels.fyi gives some strange data points
- Either way final destination should be Austin
Thoughts or alternative ideas?
Level at L5 and you would be good no matter what I think. Indeed L3 can probably do that also if the LTIP pays out as they claim it would.
In general look at companies based in the Bay Area or Seattle. Austin based companies outside of maybe Indeed will balk at that TC.