i got offers from both Amazon and Google. heres the details:
Amazon - Seattle office. Sde 2 level. TC = 240k (155k/164k/78k) there’s also a 56k signon in the 2nd year
Google - Mountain view office. L3 level. Havent got the numbers yet. they kinda lowballed me with the L3 level saying although my interview performance is almost positive, theres still small things to improve. Also, the recruiter said a L4 usually requires 5+ yoe. my yoe is 4 years.
1. Amazon interview went pretty well. it was a strong hire decision.
2. Google asked for proof of my amazon offer. i sent them the proof. They are only willing to match exactly the amazon offer(TC =241k, 135k/245k/35k, plus 15% annual bonus). Its still a less offer to me considering the living expense and income tax difference between MTV and SEA
Which one should i pick? i would definitely choose Google if i was offered a L4 even with TC in the lower band. Now I hesitated thinking if i take that L3 i may lose a couple years in the career track from this level downgrade. What do you guys think?
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Google zuckkkYou can promo in a bit over a year if you time when you join and are good
- Use Amazon offer to negotiate to get top of l3 which should be around 200k-230k TC. Then take Google.
- I'm guessing you meant L5 at Amazon. I personally worked as L5 at Amazon and downgraded to L3 at Google. 3 of my colleagues did the same. We are all happy with our decisions.
It comes down to what your goals are.
Amazon is a stepping stone. It's not a company you can settle down at. They don't value lower level engineers and you don't get paid as well as Facebook.
If you are a high performer even at the top companies, maybe you should work at Amazon for 0-4 years and move to a company like Facebook.
If your end goal is to come to a place like Google eventually, where they treat devs really well, you might as well just come now, get used to things, and grow at Google. In the long run, you will end up at the level you should be at Google.
- Google TheCoasterSEA >> MTV
The hiring bar of L4 is much lower now. No much difference between 3/4 except target level of loop
- IBM TrunkWhat was the feedback on the amazon interview? (In comparison to what G told you)