Thought might use all you money savvy peoples’ advise here. I am looking to get a nice travel credit card with good perks, but the problem is that my job does not have me traveling like a consultant.
However when I do travel, I would like some benefits like rental car insurance, lost luggage insurance and ofcourse collect a good amount of points and get a good promotional deal when I sign up.
Right now I am considering Chase Sapphire Preferred, CapitalOne Venture and Amex Green. All 3 are travel cards that do not have a hefty annual fee ($95,$95,$150 respectively) to make it worthless for someone who does not travel too much.
Does anyone have any insight on thes cards or have another card which they feel might be good?
edit: People are mentioning Chase Sapphire Reserve. I was not considering that due to the high annual fee ($450), but is it totally better than Sapphire Preffered?
For that reason, I went with the American Express Blue Cash Preferred. It's got an annual fee of $95 but it's got great benefits:
1) 6% cash back at grocery up to $6000 spent (then down to 1%)
2) 6% cash back on streaming services
3) 3% cash back on transit (public transpo, tolls, ride share, etc)
4) 3% cash back at gas stations
5) 1% can back everywhere else
The way I see it, if you max out grocery purchase for the year ($6000 spent at s grocery store) you get $360 back which covers the annual fee easily. Some other tricks:
1. Don't think you can spend $6k at a grocery store? Buy up gift cards at the grocery store (at 6% cash back) for places you'd normally get 1% back. (Example, buy Amazon gift cards at the end of the year)
2. If you can easily spend $6k at the grocery store, next buy up gift cards at the gas station, so you're getting 3% cash back (on the gift card at the gas station) and using it at a store that's normally 1% cash back.
You can easily cover the annual fee with the rewards. And the card still has basic collision, loss and stolen rental car coverage.
If this is helpful and you choose this route, I'd appreciate you using my referral code http://refer.amex.us/LINDSCuf9d?XLINK=MSNR