I am coming from sales and have an offer from Google as a Sales Rep as well as very soon an offer from a brick and mortar retailer with 30000 Employees as CTO, with the plan to be on the exec board after a year. Vision to drive cloud transformation and building a digital platform / advanced Ecommerce and moving to devops.
TC both around 300k.
Thoughts? Strong tendency towards CTO role for learning and career, albeit much more risk.
- Google UODHGDo CTO gig. Google job will always be there. I wanna say offer is valid for 1 year as well.
- Why you turn down C-level? At the very least you are then looked at for other CTO/CIO roles in the future. Anyone can be a sales rep. Unless the company is evil I can't see not taking a CTO role.
- Salesforce / Other eVBM24I don’t get it. These are two totally different functional roles and levels. Sales rep vs CTO of 30k person company? Somethings not adding up.
- Google 🦑dive deepIs the CTO title really a sales position in disguise? Lots of companies do that sort of thing because important customers want to talk to reps with fancy titles.
If so, Google.
If not, decide based on whether you want to do sales or be a CTO since they’re totally different roles.
- Can you elaborate more on how these sales engineering positions work? What does one end up doing for google as an example.