Facebook Culture

Nov 29, 2019 37 Comments

Not attempting to bash the company here. But do FBers have an elitist personality or something?

I graduated with 2 of my other friends and we all work here in the Bay. They both are at FB (one is a Prod Eng, other is a Data Eng). First couple of months went fine, but now it seems like they always just poke at the fact I work at AWS (SWE) and they'll often make annoying jokes about bananas and the door desks (which might be true in Seattle idk - never been to Seattle, but Bay is a lot cooler!)

I genuinely still like them since we grinded through college together (dem memories tho) but it's becoming more and more constant to the point where it's becoming just plain annoying. I want to branch out more but it's harder to meet other new grads here since most of them go to Amazon Seattle (HQ) and they've introduced me to some people from FB (some of which are similar, but some are pretty cool!)

I've already told them it's annoying but then they just say they're joking and it makes me look like the bad one by causing a scene.

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 37 Comments
  • Facebook 019283746!
    HA you work at AWS!
    Nov 29, 2019 4
    • Google Uxdt18
      Nothing, compared to working at Softbank(rupt)
      Nov 30, 2019
    • SoftBank swe666
      Go f yoursel a hole
      Nov 30, 2019
  • Slalom Consulting / Sales StankyFeet
    So your “friends” are typical tech bros now. That’s Bay Area for you
    Nov 29, 2019 0
  • Adobe qGnW61
    Lol go eat a banana and get back to work
    Nov 29, 2019 0
  • Apple / Eng
    banana-man

    Apple Eng

    PRE
    Amazon
    banana-manmore
    You can make jokes to them after they got piped out in couple of years.
    Nov 29, 2019 1
    • Facebook easzss
      Amazon pivots >10% yearly. FB is <2%. Chances are his friends are in the top 98%.
      Nov 29, 2019
  • Facebook ygdbn
    Yup, the elitist tech bro attitude at FB. Really don't like that aspect of our culture.
    Nov 29, 2019 0
  • Amazon getthat$
    grind and get to fb/goog as a swe and shut em up lmao
    Nov 29, 2019 4
    • Workday
      MXQV42

      Workday

      PRE
      Symantec, Workday
      MXQV42more
      Google: not after they hired anti-union firm and all the complaints of sexism.
      Facebook: Debatable
      Nov 30, 2019
    • Amazon getthat$
      @ayse07 lol, i never said everyone wants to be at those companies. I just gave a suggestion as to how to shut his friends up.
      Nov 30, 2019
  • Amazon econgineer
    Make friends outside of the tech world. Everyone is insecure and over compensates. You'll need a break from it.
    Nov 29, 2019 0
  • New AYse07
    Dick measuring contest in the bay. Bay is toxic.
    Nov 29, 2019 0
  • Microsoft namastte
    You are SWE and they are not. You shouldn’t feel like they have a better job. In fact, you are in much better position. They are acting like they passed an interview for SWE. There is a chance their salary is lower than yours. Down the road, this will become bigger. They could be saying such jokes out of jealousy actually. Minimize interaction with them but don’t feel stressed when they do as they could be very well showing their inferiority complex.
    Nov 30, 2019 3
    • Amazon econgineer
      DE get similar base but only 60-80% as much equity as SWE.
      Nov 30, 2019
    • Facebook Raptor77
      Don’t know about DE, but PE makes as much if not more than SWE. The PE I work with is not only awesome but I am sure his comp is higher at the same level.

      @OP - your friends are not off base. The interview and perf bar is higher in FB and G.
      Nov 30, 2019
  • Facebook easzss
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/news/which-colleges-do-facebook-google-and-other-top-employers-recruit

    People come from great backgrounds as you can see from the above, but they are generally humble.

    I have lots of friends at Amazon. I still see it as a top tech company, and you should be proud to work there.
    Nov 29, 2019 2
    • New AYse07
      How does this justify OP’s friends?
      Nov 29, 2019
    • Facebook easzss
      There are exceptions everywhere - just as you might meet an arrogant person on the street. This isn't the norm. Most people are humble at these top tech companies.
      Nov 29, 2019

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees