Facebook vs Google dilemma

New tqoX62
Dec 6, 2019 117 Comments

Hi everyone, first time posting on Blind, appreciate all the help :)

I know the rules, TC or GTFO so here go the numbers (only FB though, haven't got offer from Google)

Office: London
TC: 150k
(Edited for the sake of anonymity)

Now comes the situation.

I have received the FB verbal offer over the phone 2 weeks ago, my Google onsite was 1 week ago (so after receiving FB verbal offer)
I have also received positive feedback from Google recruiter. She also said she would put my profile in urgent track and run HC and team matching in parallel, because I let her know that I had already got FB verbal offer. Yet, I haven't heard anything else from her except the positive feedbacks.

Personally, I think I did Google onsite much better than FB so I expect somewhat level 5 for Google, hence want to wait for the result. I'm not even sure if level 5 is possible because they know that I have only got level 4 for FB.

However, it has been 2 weeks since I got the verbal offer from FB and the FB recruiter said something along the line that they normally wouldn't wait that long for an answer, especially since it's end of the year.

I really want to get out of the situation I am in now, so either offer would be okay for me.
I really really want either of them and don't want to risk FB recruiter retracting the verbal offer.

I'm really not sure what's best to do, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 117 Comments
  • New
    makehappen

    New

    PRE
    Google
    makehappenmore
    Burning the bridges way:
    Accept FB offer and if Google offers L5, explain it to FB and move on. It might hurt you in the future tho. Given that the tech scene in UK isn't vibrant as US

    Please don't take it seriously I just stated an option
    Dec 6, 2019 15
    • New tqoX62
      OP
      @Lt. Ilia
      1. Would it make me look bad to teams/HM even if I back out after signing written offer with a legit reason like FB doesn't pay me as much as competing offer from Google?

      2. Is it possible to negotiate with FB after signing their written offer given that I get competing offer from G after signing the offer?
      Dec 8, 2019
    • Microsoft jYma08
      Yes it is pretty common to discuss your situation with FB. Also if you think FB has downleveled you, then are you ready to devalue your market value, given you have someone who is giving your market value.

      Just think if you mention to fb that Google is up leveling you. What will fb says, will they try to convince you to join fb on your lower market value. That will be a lame argument. If fb really wants you they will try to match
      Dec 9, 2019
  • New oeeL53
    Congrats on your offer!

    If you like FB, I would considering taking it now.

    I would ask / tell the G recruiter you need an offer or not by a certain day and stick to it. Keep in mind TM can take months so there is no guarantees from google for potentially a few more months.
    Dec 6, 2019 3
    • Amazon otedola
      This
      Dec 7, 2019
    • Microsoft / Eng RollWitIt
      Strongly disagree with taking FB offer. But yes to emphasizing urgency to Google.

      Stall on FB as much as you can. They may not be willing to delay the decision date right now, but 3 days before their deadline they may suddenly be okay with waiting another week if it seems like Google is on the verge of making their offer

      More good tips here:
      zainrizvi.io/blog/salary-negotiation-tips
      Dec 11, 2019
  • Amazon leetcode46
    I think you have no option other than accepting fb offer and if google comes up with better offer you can reject fb later on.
    Dec 6, 2019 8
    • Zillow Group boozba
      Wait as much as you can but if you have no choice, accept FB offer. If you get a decent Google offer reject FB. Don’t worry about ban or whatever. It’s business. If they ban you that’s not a business you want to be involved with either. Google is a big name and so many opportunities would come after that in years to come. Even a better FB offer. Don’t get dragged by recruiter or team urgency to fill up a position. They come and go. The company and your career stays.
      Dec 7, 2019
    • Google shaapify
      Just tell FB that google is working on another offer in the next 2-3 days and you will need to see it to make a informed decision
      Dec 8, 2019
  • FactSet
    iRonman3k

    FactSet

    PRE
    Salesforce
    BIO
    Software Engineer in NYC.
    iRonman3kmore
    I know in the US google offers are valid for a year, so you could start at fb, and start your switch to google about 6 months later. No bridges burnt.
    Dec 6, 2019 2
    • New tqoX62
      OP
      Sounds like a good plan. I'll confirm with the recruiter if it's the case.
      Dec 6, 2019
    • Facebook Lt. Ilia
      Yes but you might have to go through team match again (depending on your role). So although the offer is valid for a year, there has to be a team with a PID that is willing to take you.
      Dec 8, 2019
  • Facebook mJKe77
    Always get offer in writing. Every time I get a verbal offer I follow up with an email asking for the offer in writing as I have been burnt in the past with verbal offers being a helluva lot better than the final written one. Also some times other companies want proof of your other offers.
    Also my spouse had positive onsite with Google and it took them 4.5 months to find team and go through HC. Fortunately, he was working so he didn't need the job right away and he didn't have other companies waiting for a reply to their offers. I doubt many companies would wait 4.5 months.
    Dec 7, 2019 1
    • Facebook
      098146465

      Facebook

      PRE
      Google, Amazon, Intuit, Uber
      098146465more
      +1. You have absolutely nothing if not a written offer.
      Dec 7, 2019
  • Amazon Day 3
    Wait. For the love of god, wait.

    If the FB position is a take it or leave it thing, it’s on a team that’s at their headcount cap. Otherwise, it’s just a recruiter trying to force lock in.

    Don’t do it. They want to close the deal to maximize their numbers. They’re not invested in your quality of life. Tell Facebook you need more time for your Google offer to come in and then you can talk turkey. Naturally, they’re afraid that you’re going to get a skyrocket offer from Google and be unmatchable. If they were a more thoughtful recruiter, they’d recognize that that’s better than you starting and bolting later.
    Dec 7, 2019 4
    • Amazon Day 3
      @c**p, Burnout is the phenomenon of working really hard for a short period of time followed by an unproductive period (burned out).

      Basically, if you’re always in crunch time or under the gun, you don’t have any time to recharge/refresh, and full crunch isn’t sustainable. The end result? Burn out. Good people quit, turn unproductive, go negative in meetings, etc.

      At a company as big as Facebook, a team that can’t wait for a responsible answer from a candidate is a team holding up red flags.
      Dec 8, 2019
    • Squarespace c**p
      Thanks @Day 3, was familiar with burnout, but not why staffed teams at FB mean high burnout. Asking for myself :) as I’m waiting to join next year.
      Dec 8, 2019
  • Cisco MhPK10
    Google usually takes a looooot of time in closing a tram match. So dont 3xpect an offer from google anytime soon. I would take FB and move to Google after few months if the HC committee decision is still valid
    Dec 6, 2019 1
    • New tqoX62
      OP
      Sounds like a good strategy. I may just go with that.
      Dec 6, 2019
  • Google / Eng cloudy sky
    Google can be fast or slow on team match (I did mine in 2d). However, most teams won’t get headcount till January, so they won’t be team matching until they have that. How long do you think you can stall FB?

    I also wouldn’t be surprised if G makes L4 offer as well. 🤷‍♀️
    Dec 6, 2019 9
    • Amazon yzjjay
      Senior SDE (which is what E5 is) is going to end up meaning less and less if a significant chunk of them have under 10 years experience. I hope it doesn’t go this way.
      Dec 9, 2019
    • Microsoft Jennatal
      Better reward merit than resort to ageist discrimination.
      Dec 9, 2019
  • Amazon leetcode46
    Did you negotiate fb offer ?
    Dec 6, 2019 7
    • New tqoX62
      OP
      @shaapify
      What if they find out later on lol
      I will be fired.
      Isn't this too risky and immoral :/
      Dec 8, 2019
    • Nokia / IT hopingstea
      @tqoX62 I don’t think it’s immoral as long as it reflects your knowledge and YOE.
      Dec 10, 2019
  • Quora zlTa36
    I would take the FB offer. Google can take ages (weeks if not months) to get back to you.

    If you join FB, that should be a strong enough boost such that even if you did want to go to Google, such a switch would be easy.

    Ideally, you should try negotiating a sign on from FB. this way if things go south and you decide to leave, you still got a pretty solid boost in the beginning.

    Additionally, its definitely possible for FB to bump your sign on, since 1) that's usually gets negotiated, 2) they know that once Google enters the bargaining table, it's gonna get a lot more expensive.
    Dec 7, 2019 3
    • Squarespace c**p
      Yes that’s true, although in FB case it’s a prorated payback.
      Dec 7, 2019
    • Quora zlTa36
      I mean, I feel it takes more than 1 year to evaluate whether or not you wanna stay at a company anyways. Especially at companies as large as FB and Google where you want to try multiple teams before leaving. Otherwise, you'd be jumping ship without seeing the whole picture.
      Dec 7, 2019

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees