Folks, how many years did it take for you go from 0 to 200k in net worth?
Count everything in, including:
- Pre-tax retirement accounts, company sponsored or not
- Company stocks that have been vested. State if can't be traded on the public market yet.
- Any investment or saving accounts. Cash, bonds, equity, who knows.
- Equity in real estate (i.e. property value - mortgage balance)
Feel free to share how you got there (or about to get there) in the comments (TC and net worth progression over time, location, career changes, how's your lifestyle and expenses over time, other significant financial events, etc.)
I can start:
3 YoE. Started from 0 and projecting to hit 200k net worth at early year 4, i.e. a low (3, 4]
Location: Toronto, ON 🇨🇦
Gross TC: 🇨🇦$95k -> 120k -> 180k
- base + equity vesting that year + any cash bonuses + employer contributions to your pre-tax account
Net TC: 69k -> 84k -> 116k
- This is gross TC minus all deductions that are mandatory. Deductions due to voluntary contributions to pre-tax accounts don't count.
Net worth: 0 -> 35k -> 110k -> 170k
Living situation: Single. Own a modest apartment on a mortgage. No car. One modest vacation per year. Eat out often. Otherwise a pretty simple but comfortable lifestyle.
I ask mostly because I live in a crazy expensive city in Canada that is not a major tech-hub (hence lower wage). I'm okay with my progress so far, but still wonder how much better I would do if I move down south of the border, especially to a tech hub like the Bay Area / Seattle. I'm less concerned about the currency conversation rate than just the raw numbers.