Google (L4 SWE):
- TC: 242.5k without sign-on, 282.5k with
- base: 150k + 15% bonus
- equity: 280k
- sign on: 40k
- monthly vesting schedule
- better match for languages/technologies used
- downlevel...although perhaps this might aid in WLB...
Facebook (IC5 - NOT E5 - Solutions Engineer):
- TC: 245.5k without sign-on, 280.5k with
- base: 170k + 15% bonus
- stock: 200k
- sign on: 35k
- better team/manager match
- quarterly vesting schedule
- higher level...but not SWE ladder
Austin, TX for both.
Facebook's equity is low because IC5 receive less of it than their E5 (SWE) counterparts, so refreshers will take a hit when compared to google. I'm concerned with career growth and WLB (is this contradictory?)...my impression is that I'll have more growth potential at FB, from what I've read about promotions at G taking ages. I plan to hustle regardless (won't be resting and vesting) but I also am protective of my work life balance.
I'm stuck. What does Blind think? What would you all do?
TC: 210k; 6 YOE
Google (L4 SWE):
- Google / Eng sweSharpmoreI'm not sure you want to take the title hit going into solutions engineering.
- Google m6r4Should divide sign on over 4 years in the TC calculation IMO. Also I don't think L4 is a downlevel for someone with 6 yoe. That's pretty typical. L5 would be unusual.
If it's me I definitely take G for the SWE ladder. If promotion does prove to be a pain, maybe you can jump to FB at E5 later. (I'm assuming they will have more SWE in Austin at some point)
- E5 to E6 at Facebook is tough to crack to, so it’s kinda a wash between the two in terms of promotion velocity.
- Google UUID123Google Austin is in downtown. Facebook is in domain in the north. Depend on your lifestyle and traffic is not good in Austin.