Google NYC - no team match since March :((((

Jun 19, 2019 73 Comments

Hey there,

So I interviewed in March at Google NYC and heard that there are NO head count at that time. l so I gave Bay area as other option.

Its been 3+ months now and its June. I am still hoping for headcount to be up at least at MTV OR NYC.

Have been asked to wait more.

Any clue if this is gonna work out?

PS: I have been told to team match BEFORE hiring committee review.

I am afraid if this wait will ever get over and if I would see the bright light of Google’s offices with a huge YES for me?!

I had an amazing interview. I recall one of my interviewer asking me that Google hopes I choose Google over other companies.

But now I am left with only wait, very long wait. And there’s no guarantee.

Its unpredictable.

Its weird. I am clueless.

Dear experts,
Please help!

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 73 Comments
  • Facebook / Eng mturtle
    What level were you offered? No one is getting T3 matches lately.
    Jun 19, 2019 14
    • AT&T / Eng DisUser
      I just got an L3 match ~2 weeks ago in Sunnyvale. It's been opening up a bit more from what I hear
      Jun 19, 2019
    • Cruise Automation / Eng ⛸️
      I'm IC2/E4 and having the same issues - I think a majority of companies are rejecting me because they don't have headcount for midlevel.

      Also playing the Google team-matching waiting game atm.
      Jul 27, 2019
  • Google fuchsiabro
    Uhh dude you need to fuckin tell your recruiter to get their shit together for real.
    Jun 19, 2019 7
    • OP
      I am open to Sunnyvale, MTV , locations
      Jun 19, 2019
    • CenturyLink going2fb
      Dm me
      Jun 19, 2019
  • Twitter A1bertsons
    Too many new grads saturating the market.
    Jun 19, 2019 2
    • OP
      From your experience any clue when market shall be back to normal?
      Jun 19, 2019
    • Facebook warcraft
      "Normal" is not clueless undergrads earning 200k
      Jun 19, 2019
  • New
    blockbit

    New

    PRE
    Goldman Sachs, Bloomberg LP
    blockbitmore
    Had the same thing. Just turned Google down last week. Was waiting since first week of April. Recruiter told me September is most likely time of new headcount. Was L4 and I had past Hiring Committee. Ask recruiter to do HC to increase your team matching chances and you’ll have a year to team match. Also check out other NYC companies that are hiring. I went with Uber
    Jun 20, 2019 8
    • OP
      Gotcha.

      Given a choice would you guys choose Google in Bay area (if given an option for immediate joining) or any other company be it startup/fintech in NYC (since Google NYC needs more time for head count)?
      Jun 20, 2019
    • New
      blockbit

      New

      PRE
      Goldman Sachs, Bloomberg LP
      blockbitmore
      Google Bay Area generally. But depends on leveling, comp, the work and the company.
      Jun 20, 2019
  • Jet.com GgcE62
    Bro that sucks bro
    Jun 19, 2019 3
    • New azgq53
      @howlong lol me too, but for a different reason
      Jun 20, 2019
    • OP
      Remotely related?
      Jun 20, 2019
  • TD
    _Canadian_

    TD

    PRE
    IBM
    _Canadian_more
    Interview elsewhere and use your Google competitive offer to get a good offer there.

    If by then Google comes around, great. If not, you still have a decent place to go to.
    Jun 19, 2019 4
    • OP
      Agree bro.
      Jun 19, 2019
    • Cruise Automation / Eng ⛸️
      I've been wondering if I have any leverage with my Google "offer" for other companies if I have no team match yet. My feeling has been no, although I will tell recruiters that I do have a pending "offer" that is in the works though, because of team matching.
      Jul 27, 2019
  • Microsoft votefeet
    One of my friend had a similar experience (L3) recently and he reached out to hiring managers through his friends at Google. Found a match and informed the recruiter. Finally, he got the official offer. That said, it helps if you have good competing offers and let your recruiter know that you're ready to walk out of the process/offer. They usually move you ahead in the queue in those cases.

    If you're very confident about the interviews, push your recruiter to send the packet to HC before team match. HC approved packets typically have higher chances of team match. Also, you could then use the offer as leverage at other companies.
    Jun 19, 2019 3
    • Microsoft votefeet
      Don't think it is true. I went through the process last month and had the choice to do team match before or after the HC.
      Jun 19, 2019
    • OP
      No clue bro:(((

      I am just not sure what’s going on and how to fix it:(((
      Jun 19, 2019
  • Amazon gaHQ11
    Something wrong with ur recruiter or interview. I got a dozen matches in 3 days at L4 in mtv.
    Jun 19, 2019 3
    • OP
      Not sure what is the thing. Its a big black box to me bro. How should I go ahead no clue:(((
      Jun 19, 2019
    • Cruise Automation / Eng ⛸️
      huh weird. I'm at L4 and it's been 2 weeks and no matches yet - I think.
      Jul 27, 2019
  • Jet.com MxFp78
    Similar to what other folks are saying, I would interview elsewhere. Getting an offer from another company will give you leverage to skip certain steps. Also, it’s just good practice and intellectually fun.

    Personally, they were able to push my official offer through after HC but before team match because I had competing offers.

    Good luck!
    Jun 19, 2019 1
  • Sea bzyl77
    Same here, low HC for L4 NYC currently. I think hiring managers currently are interviewing a large number of candidates and pick one, so the competition is really high. Since I am relocating from another Country, I have no choice but to take another expiring offer (otherwise I will be jobless). Not sure if it is ethical to do team match while working in another company and leave the company after half a year if got a team match.
    Jun 21, 2019 2
    • New rsqwu
      Would you be telling Google that you accepted another offer? How would that impact?

      Or maybe just tell them you do have another offer to speed team match?
      Jun 23, 2019
    • Sea bzyl77
      The Google recruiter says I can continue to do team match while working and decide if want to join Google if a team is found (that should be a no brainer). The problem is the other recruiter (expiring offer) want me to decide in one day. Originally they give me 2 weeks but as soon as they heard I am doing team match with Google they want me to decide in 1 day. I know it's their negotiation strategy but as I am a new immigrant, I need a job first so I would probably accept it first.
      Jun 23, 2019

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees