I've got > $1M in investments like stock (self selected) and property (that I live(d) in). Lots of unrealized gains. My tax bill last year was shocking.
I also have an accountant that isn't helpful (does the minimum job) and I have no financial advisors or lawyers.
Looking for advice and recommendations. Advice on whether you see value in a financial advisor, and if you have recommendations for a tax or financial person.
- Expedia Group 564atmsCant reveal TC? What, are you under investigation somewhere? Or did you mean "won't"
- Tableau fBCz83Advisors can help you with a lot of questions about complex situations, but they are expensive and risk averse. Whether you need one is highly personal and situation dependent.
Reasons to get an advisor:
- You feel off-track for retirement and need someone else to do save/spend projection
- You need an outside voice to help slow your (or your spouse’s) spending
- You’re considering financial instruments you don’t understand and want coaching on like rental property or insurance
Reasons not to get a financial advisor:
- You want to make your own stock picks (or stock picks at all - most will steer you away from such risk)
- You are happy with index fund performance
- You feel your retirement is in order