Hopefully some FB NY people can see this. I’m starting at FB soon in NY and debating if I should live in NJ (Hoboken or Jersey City)
The benefits I see:
- I save 3-4% on NYC income tax (that’s 10-20k a year)
- Commute looks not too bad
- Housing is cheaper and newer
- NJ seems cleaner, less hectic
- I don’t go out much, I’m engaged and living with my fiance, so I don’t have fomo
I don’t know if I’m missing anything, in my situation why the hell would you not live in NJ??
Increased commuting costs.
Cost of potentially needing to own a car.
Longer commute time and less flexible commute hours if you’re in the city until late and more changing trains.
Less likely to be able to get friends to come to your place due to their commute.
Things aren’t open as late, less 24 hour shops/food.
Taxes are more complicated at end of year due to earning the income across state lines.
Less to do without commuting to the city (though some areas are better than others)