PM looking for help deciding on an offer or to take a walk
Was laid off two months ago (not performance related, was business/finance related). Had a cluster of interviews that didn’t yield what I had hoped. Only landed one offer, that I am negotiating on Tuesday, but looking for guidance on whether I should proceed or walk and start my search over.
YOE: 2 as a PM, 6 years prior in a non technical role
Personal situation: Currently laid off/unemployed, okay on money, could last a while on savings.
Title: Sr Product Manager. 160k salary, no annual bonus, currently ~$60k dollar value in options / 4 years
Pros: Good team culture, good manager, I think I would do good work and add on to my skill set and experience. Company seems pretty stable.
Cons: Clearly low pay, even if I negotiate hard, long term equity is pretty crap even if it turns into anything.
Considerations: Im a job hopper who has had mostly <2 yr stints. The last two were layoffs, not performance related, purely business/financial issues, but it’s been coming up in interviews. I’ve had good answers, but another short stint would be terrible.
Also, I’m relatively new to being a PM, 2 YOE. I know most of the great offers here come with 5-7+ YOE. Clearly I have a gap to close to get to that experience level, so I trying to get optimize to get the experience as a PM on paper and to fix the perception that I am a job hopper. In the short term, it might take longer than the average PM here on blind.
I also obv worried about taking a bad deal that will have huge opportunity cost.
So big question: is it even worth negotiating/considering this offer? Or should I walk and continue looking for a better deal at a public company/high value startup? Or is it better for me to get more experience and wait a few years before getting a great gig.
Thanks in advance
TC: used to be 200k