What to Expect When Calling a Hotline:
We know of two international lists that are maintained by reputable agencies; try these if you don't find what you're looking for below:
1. The International Association for Suicide Prevention maintains a Global Crisis Centre Directory..
2. The Befrienders maintain a hotline database; use the "Find a Helpline by Country" control at the top of their page.
Do be aware that there are a lot of online global hotline lists maintained privately by members of the public. Although these people usually mean well, the information on their sites is often outdated or incorrect.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) Veterans press 1 to reach specialised support.
(The older number, 1-800-SUICIDE, is no longer published by the lifeline agency and will probably stop working in the near future.)
Online Chat: http://chat.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/GetHelp/LifelineChat.aspx
Crisis Text Line: Text "HOME" to 741741. To reach a responder who specialises in issues facing persons of colour, text "STEVE" to 741741.
Youth-Specific services (voice/text/chat/email) from the Boys' Town National Hotline:
EU Standard Emotional Support Number 116 123 - Free and available in much of Europe, you can check which 116 helplines are available in your country here
Centro de Asistencia al Suicida: https://www.casbuenosaires.com.ar/ayuda 135 (CABA & GBA), (011)5275-1135 (Todo El País/Nationwide)
13 11 14
142, Youth 147 Online: http://www.onlineberatung-telefonseelsorge.at
Dutch: 1813 https://www.zelfmoord1813.be/
French: 0800 32 123 http://www.preventionsuicide.be/fr/lesuicide.html
141 changing to 188 effective 30 June, 2018 Chat, Skype and Email also available at: https://www.cvv.org.br/
National Crisis Line from Crisis Services Canada (Pilot Project, phone only at present): 1.833.456.4566
Other Crisis Lines by Region Alternatively, 211 works in most of Canada, and they can advise regarding local resources.
Nationwide Kids Help Phone (Up to age 18): 1.800.668.6868 or text HOME to 686868
Tel: 0800-1110111 oder 0800-1110222
70 20 12 01
Lifeline Fiji: 132454
Suomen Mielenterveysseura: 010 195 202 9:00 to 7:00 weekdays, 15:00 to 7:00 weekends and holidays
Suicide Écoute - http://www.suicide-ecoute.fr/ 01 45 39 40 00
sos-amitie - réseau de 50 postes d'écoute Téléphone: Numéros divers, carte ici
Chat: Disponible de 13h à 3h, 7 jours ici
1018 or 801 801 99 99
Greece - http://www.suicide-help.gr/
1480 6am to 9pm everyday
ROI - local rate: 1850 60 90 90
ROI - minicom: 1850 60 90 91
Telefono Amico: http://www.telefonoamico.it/ 199 284 284
Samaritans onlus Italia: http://www.samaritansonlus.org/ 800 86 00 22
Tokyo - Japanese: 3 5286 9090 befrienders-jap.org
Tokyo - English: 03-5774-0992 telljp.com
Osaka - Japanese: 06-6260-4343 spc-osaka.org
The above sites maintain links to related resources in other cities and other formats like chat and text.
Suicide Prevention Hotline 1577-0199
SAPTel: http://www.saptel.org.mx/ (55) 5259-8121
0800 543 354 Outside Auckland
09 5222 999 Inside Auckland
Kirkens SOS offers phone support and chat: 22 40 00 40 and http://www.kirkens-sos.no/
Directory of additional resources here: https://www.psykiskhelse.no/hjelpetelefoner-og-nettsteder
SOS VOZ AMIGA: 21 354 45 45 or 91 280 26 69 or 96 352 46 60 (Daily, 1600-2400h) http://www.sosvozamiga.org/
Telefone da Amizade: 22 832 35 35 or 808 22 33 53 (Daily, 1600-2300h) http://www.telefone-amizade.pt/
0800 801 200
0800 300 303 or 021 6623 393
Samaritans of Singapore: 1800 221 4444 https://www.sos.org.sg/
LifeLine 0861 322 322
Suicide Crisis Line 0800 567 567
010 195 202 available 9am-7am weekdays and 3pm-7am weekends
112, the regular emergency line, may be used at other times
mind.se phone: 901 01 chat: https://chat.mind.se/ Both available 0600-2400 daily.
Directory of other services here
* Voice: 116 123 (24/7 Free to call, will not appear on phone bills, formerly 08457 90 90 90)
* Text: 07725909090
* Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Helplines for Men from thecalmzone.net:
* Voice: 0800 58 58 58 (5pm to midnight nationwide, also 0808 802 58 58 London and 0800 58 58 58 Merseyside)
* Text 07537 404717 (5pm to midnight, start your text with CALM2)
* Online Chat: https://www.thecalmzone.net/help/get-help/
ChildLine (childline.org.uk), for those 19 and under:
* Voice: 0800-11-11 (Free to call, does not appear on phone bills)
* Online Chat: http://www.childline.org.uk/Talk/Chat/Pages/OnlineChat.aspx
* Email: http://www.childline.org.uk/Talk/Pages/Email.aspx
Papyrus HOPELINEUK, suicide prevention specialist service for children and young adults (under 35)
Hours are 9am – 10pm weekdays 2pm – 10pm weekends 2pm – 10pm bank holidays
* Voice: 0800 068 4141
* Text: 07786209697
* Email: email@example.com
Directory of suicide-related services: http://www.supportline.org.uk/problems/suicide.php
Landlines 0800 84 83 (7pm to 11 pm)
(FREE) 2400 84 83 (24/7)
Cell phone lines 095 738 483 *8483
What to Expect When Calling a Hotline:
- Google oglooI lost my job for reporting my manager for sexual harassment. I thought it was the job of my dreams because my work was my life. I felt that was the only thing I had to hang my hat on every day.
I was very disappointed and discouraged after many months of unemployment and I lost all confidence in being able to get my life back. I was very sad and started to believe it wasn’t worth living my life anymore. I googled how to die and the suicide prevention hotline came up.
I’m so glad I called because I was really going to hurt myself that night. They were so kind and understanding and made me realize that life was worth living even after I felt I lost all that mattered. I hope people will call because we’re all fighting our own battles and calling is inviting others to fight for you.
- I called them once and they put me on hold and after an hour of terrible music I gave up.
- Amazon trex$Can tell you one thing:- have had the misfortune of wanting to call such a helpline once. It routes you to where your number is from. Say you are from DC (number) and now you live in WA.. calls goes there..it's not instant, and you've to be on hold. When you finally reach a person and they ask location, it's then they route you to the actual state which is again a wait time. I was in a bad state of mind and hung up. Fortunately something else came to my rescue that day. It's sad that even in a very developed nation like US, there is a shortage of trained folks..I checked myself into ER that night, and next day I was told by a social worker to get therapy. My PCP told me unfortunately it's very hard to get an appointment and the next available appointment was 3.5 months away. We are all overpaid/well paid but these professions are neither well encouraged nor do they make a lot of money. This is the only part of healthcare which would.be so great if automated (if there is empathy in AI somehow) because not sure how many people will be taking this profession up.