Current TC: 160k
I've had a verbal approval from Bloomberg for a few months, but have been shopping around and received 1 more (lowish) offer + another expected. I still have an onsite at FB to schedule, no availability til Jan. Bloomberg has been getting pushy about making a decision, but I didn't want to give up on these other places (I was about to apply to Twitter and Google as well) since the work/team at BB doesn't seem exciting to me (C++ monolith -> python microservices conversion). I had a call with the recruiter just now and he asked what TC I would need to stop looking. I threw out 270k, which I thought would be out of range for my 4 YOE, and he said he could maybe make that work, gave me the weekend to think about it. If I'm ok with it and he clears it, he'd put out a 270k offer with a short deadline.
The FB recruiter happened to call me immediately after and I explained the situation and she suggested come in for the interview in Jan and renege if I get it. Makes me very uncomfortable and I hate to burn bridges but obviously this is a huge decision and I really do think FB would be a better place for me. Focused on learning, career growth, being around smart engineers right now.
I was about to let BB go, but 270k is pretty massive, and there's the difference in WLB reputation between BB and FB to consider.
What would you do? Accept BB? Accept then maybe renege? Just keep looking?
Edit: Bloomberg team would be Data License, if that factors in at all, what's the reputation there?
Current TC: 160k
- Scotiabank saywhAccept BB. Leet for a year. Apply for FB again with your new TC as baseline
- 270k in all cash is substantially better than what I got with similar TC/YoE last year. I was given 215k after negotiation.
What's your secret OP?
- I told them about my other offers and onsites, and I kept pushing for more time. They're probably pretty fed up with me at this point and willing to solve the problem with money. A few weeks ago they made it sound like they were going to have their team headcount filled by now but I guess not.Dec 13, 2019 1
- With 4 yoe, I would optimize on where you will learn the most. That will increase your earning potential for the rest of your career. Don’t ignore TC but if it’s within 20% or so I would optimize for learning
- If You’re not that excited about BB, don’t go just because you have the offer. If you’re not excited, you won’t apply yourself and won’t learn/grow and won’t enjoy yourself. I’ve been there. Go where you’ll be excited. If you don’t get FB are there other opportunities that excite you?Dec 13, 2019 1
- FB, Twitter, Google, Airbnb, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc - the bigtechcos that are creating tools that the rest of the industry uses, employ legendary engineers like Peter Norvig or Guido Van Rossum, etc. I'm under no illusion that they're going to be as easy to get into as BB though
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Bloomberg rdlvI don't think you will get 270k , the recruiter is just selling this to you.. But if you make that, take up the offer. Bloomberg is as not as bad as people say.. you will definitely have loads of opportunities. Worst case, if you don't like it , go for FAANG after a year or two.. Also if FB is your dream company, I'd say take this up and then backoff if you get that offer .. (that's okay). There are tons of recruiters out there and tons of companies out there.. you won't burn any Bridges!! Do what's best for you..