What cash value would you put on $100K Cruise RSU?
Edit: In case some folks aren't aware, Cruise is essentially back to being a private company now after recent Softbank investment. For new hire offers, they are giving out Cruise equity instead of GM equity. Or this is what was explained to me anyway.
Some of my thoughts and assumptions:
• I'll owe tax on vested RSUs (shares) even though I can't sell the shares, so I'll pay ~$45K out of pocket when they vest. Need to confirm this with Cruise.
• I won't be able to sell the shares until Cruise goes public. However, I'll ask if they'll allow me to participate in secondary markets (i.e. sell my private shares).
• Cruise won't go public until the ride service is widely deployed; that's probably 5+ years away.
• Cruise may stay private indefinitely even if it does establish the ride service (see: Uber).
• My share value may drop due to dilution or whatever.
• I don't know the terms if I leave the company before it goes public. Perhaps I lose the shares (the vested RSUs) even though I've already paid tax on them? I'll ask.
I'm super-positive about the company and underlying tech, but given all this... I'm inclined to put the cash value of the RSU at zero or maybe even negative!
TC 375, 15 YoE