Who’s getting the referrals? Sharing some data
I run repher.me which is a simple app to give/get referrals. I gathered some data on successful/unsuccessful candidates on the platform.
Around 77% of candidates generated interest (someone clicked on the “refer” button). Around 20% of candidates generated significant interest (over 3 people clicked on the button or shared their contact info). I decided to compare these two sets of candidates.
See the chart for results. Summary: people prefer bay area/seattle/nyc software engineers/product managers who work at FAANGMULA
- Verified workplace increased referral rate by 4x
- Foreign was mostly Indian candidates
- Unsuccessful candidates had more elaborate job titles and worked at companies I never heard of
- US/Canada major city includes Austin, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, Portland, Toronto, Vancouver etc..
- Other features like school, years of experience, linkedin/github/leetcode had low correlation
- Seemingly good candidates who got 0 interest applied to small startups (no potential referrers)