is it ok if I ask my recruiter to speed up the decision process?

Sep 16, 2019 30 Comments

If I ask my google recruiter to speed up the decision process (because i have another pending offer), how will it affect my chance of getting the offer?

possible outcome #1 (neutrual): my package got submitted to HC earlier and it doesn’t affect the decision.

possible outcome #2 (negative): HC thinks no hire is better than bad hire so I will be more likely to be rejected.

possible outcome #3 (positive): HC thinks since I have another offer then I’m more likely to be a decent hire.

Should I ask my recruiter to speed up? 🙏



Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 30 Comments
  • Cisco / Eng
    🏋️‍♂️ 👨‍💻💤🔄

    Cisco Eng

    I am the tech bro.
    🏋️‍♂️ 👨‍💻💤🔄more
    I got destroyed by a FANG recruiter for asking them to speed up:(
    Sep 16, 2019 5
  • Rubrik tuct8tt8
    Fwiw, when I asked my recruiter too speed up. He told me HC decided not to proceed with my application but in reality he withdrew my application saying I was not interested. I came to know about it when another Google recruiter approached me.
    Sep 16, 2019 6
    • Rubrik tuct8tt8
      I don't have to prove it to you @polygotAi. That's the truth. I don't care whether you believe or not. Making you believe is not the intention of my post.
      Sep 18, 2019
    • Rubrik tuct8tt8
      You can not just assume I spoke with another junior recruiter by the way. Also, typically, they have the briefing from my previous interview based on which they follow up. If the current recruiter did not spill the bean by asking me "are you interested in interviewing right now, I see that previously you withdrew the application after doing well on your onsite". I would not have known this is what happened. I just assumed I was not good enough for Google just like how you assumed now.
      Sep 18, 2019
  • Qualtrics / Other qualtricdo
    It's fair. Just he honest with them and tell them if you have an exploding offer. If they want you, they'll come get you
    Sep 16, 2019 0
  • Google / Eng cloudy sky
    I asked my Google recruiter if my package could be expedited due to a competing offer. It was. I did phone interview and on-site in consecutive weeks and had the offer the following week.

    It still wasn’t done by the deadline for the other offer, so I ended up accepting the other offer and reneging, but at least it was before the start date of the other job 🤷‍♀️
    Sep 16, 2019 7
    • Google / Eng cloudy sky
      I had accepted the other offer at a not so well-known company to work on a moderately-known desktop app. My preference was Google. So I accepted the other role on its deadline (a Friday?) and then when Google finally told me I passed HC the following week I reneged because Google was my first choice.

      I got the same TC offer of $160k but with different breakdowns (other company more salary, less RSU) from both. It would have been a Senior role at other company, vs L3 Google. So aside from all the reasons to work for Google and the resume boost, the “room for growth” box was still open on Google. Reneging was a no-brainer for me, and I’m not too concerned if I burned a bridge at other company.
      Sep 19, 2019
    • New / Eng fangmula
      Thanks for sharing!
      Sep 19, 2019
  • Google / Eng dogfoodie
    My Google process was greatly expedited with a competing offer. Skipped straight to on-site, then had 6 team match calls in one day. Still took ~3 weeks in all, but I was able to hold off the other offer until G came with theirs.
    Sep 16, 2019 3
    • Google / Eng dogfoodie
      L5 (downleveled to L4 on offer) in MTV.
      Sep 17, 2019
    • Splunk / Eng

      Splunk Eng

      Congrats! Just a heads up, companies are going to start pushing back on offer deadlines. I’ll use PAN as example....they know Google takes minimum 3 weeks (kudos to you and your recruiter, that only happens by partnering together w/ transparency), so they will put a 5-8 business day deadline. Up until 3 weeks ago, teams were told to be flexible, but with all the data being reviewed on platforms like Blind, they will move forward with take it or leave it, number 2 is ready for the offer. Trust me, this is happening in real time.....hiring teams are being instructed to have TWO candidates at the goal line and use the 2nd finalist as leverage. If selection 1 takes the offer, see if the team can now hire both.
      The thought process is taking back some control from the candidates, who now hold all the cards (was the other way around for years....payback! lol).
      Sep 18, 2019
  • This comment was deleted by original commenter.

    • Compass 905
      Depends on how quality of a candidate they are.
      Sep 16, 2019
  • Google d0ntb33vil
    (3) almost never happens. Usually it's just (1)
    Sep 16, 2019 0
  • Cruise Automation / Eng ⛸️
    I did this recently and apparently I was a no-hire
    Sep 17, 2019 0
  • Rubrik rapido
    If they are on the verge, you may potentially get requested for another follow up interview. But if you have requested for an expedited process, then you may be rejected instead.

    But it probably only makes a real difference when the feedback isn’t consistently positive or negative.
    Sep 16, 2019 0


    Real time salary information from verified employees