Close to 60 Percent of Surveyed Tech Workers Are Burnt Out—Credit Karma Tops the List for Most Employees Suffering From Burnout

Occupational burnout is a health concern that is affecting a growing number of workers, including users on Blind. If not addressed, burnout can lead to additional health issues, including insomnia, depression, substance abuse, and coronary heart disease.

To find out how prevalent burnout is among tech workers, we conducted another survey, using the Blind community as a sample group. From May 12 through May 21, we asked our users if they currently suffer from workplace burnout. A total of 11,487 people responded and just over half–57.16 percent–responded “Yes”. The remaining 42.84 percent responded “No.”

The number of burnt-out workers is alarmingly high but not unexpected, especially when we look at other studies that have focused on workplace stress. A poll conducted by Kronos Incorporated and Future Workplace revealed that 46 percent of HR leaders say employee burnout is responsible for up to half (20 to 50 percent) of their annual workforce turnover. A separate study conducted at Harvard Business School found that workplace stress is a significant contributor to national health costs. Researchers determined that the psychological and physical problems of burnt-out workers cost an estimated $125 to $190 billion a year in U.S. healthcare spending.

In addition to the overall numbers, we sorted our survey data by company and narrowed down that list to 30 with the most employee responses. Here are some key takeaways from the results:

• Twenty-five out of the 30 companies have an employee burnout rate of 50 percent or higher. Only five companies have an employee burnout rate below 50 percent.

• Sixteen out of the 30 companies have an employee burnout rate that is higher than the survey average of 57.16 percent.

• Credit Karma has the highest percentage of burnt-out workers with 70.73 percent.

• Netflix has the lowest percentage of burnt-out employees with only 38.89 percent.

The results for Netflix and Credit Karma seem to reflect what users are saying about these companies on Blind. Netflix is mostly described as a desirable place to work with high compensation, balanced hours, and supportive coworkers–conditions that reduce the risk of burnout. The most negative comment you’ll likely find is that Netflix has a defined culture that can be “cultish” but you’ll rarely find a post that says the company is toxic.

Credit Karma has more mixed and polarized reviews: Some employees say that Credit Karma is one of the best companies they’ve worked for, with tight-knit teams and a higher than average number of women in leadership roles. Then there are others who accuse the company of discrimination, harassment, and workplace politics–a recipe for a toxic work environment, which can increase the risk of experiencing dissatisfaction and burnout.

Our survey results show us just a glimpse of what’s going on in tech and this time we’ve learned that a large number of tech workers are burnt out. The question now is, why? And how do we address occupational burnout, both in tech and nationally? With such a high percentage of professionals suffering from burnout, these are discussions worth having.

Let us know what you think about occupational burnout and the latest survey results. Leave a comment or reach out to us on Twitter at @teamBlindapp!

.  .  .

Interested in using the images above or the infographic below in an article or blog post? Download them all HERE.

job burnout, job burnout in tech, Credit Karma job burnout, Twitch job burnout, Nvidia job burnout, Expedia job burnout, Oath job burnout, Oracle job burnout, Intuit job burnout, Snapchat job burnout, Lyft job burnout, Cisco job burnout, Amazon job burnout, Intel job burnout, eBay job burnout, Airbnb job burnout, Microsoft job burnout, Apple job burnout, Tableau job burnout, Yahoo job burnout, VMware job burnout, LinkedIn job burnout, Pinterest job burnout, Google job burnout, Salesforce job burnout, Adobe job burnout, job burnout, Uber job burnout, Facebook job burnout, Twitter job burnout, PayPal job burnout, Netflix job burnout

More burnout-related discussions on Blind

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.