AMA - How I got multiple offers from FAANG and Tier 1 companies
I see a lot of folks asking about interview preparation and topics to study for the SWE roles at FAANG. Here's a list of topics that I studied and managed to get offers from Facebook, Apple, Lyft, Linkedin, and Amazon. If you study these topics and once you develop a knack of identifying patterns and algorithms, you'd do great.
I solved ~150 LC questions and most of the companies asked me LC mediums. I did not study any advanced data-structures like Disjoint Sets, K Dimensional, n-array tree etc. as nobody asked them in any of my interviews including FAANG, Uber, Linkedin, Lyft, Airbnb, Snap, Dropbox, Pinterest and many more.
I gave myself a couple of months to prepare and I'd study at least a couple of hours every day and more on weekends. I got LC premium for 35$ and bought 90$ System Groking, did not have any mockup interviews as I initially scheduled interviews at companies that I could use as mocks likes of Walmart Labs, Snap etc.
TC: 240K, YOE: 7
- Hash-Based DS: Set, HashMap, LinkedHashMap
- Min, Max Heap
- Priority Queue
- Bit manipulation
- BFS & DFS
- Sorting & Searching
- Recursion (Bottom Up & Top Down)
- Intervals, meeting rooms etc.
- Island problems
- Two pointer approach, three sum
- Window sliding
- Dynamic programming (Tushar Roy)
- Word ladder, word break, word split
- LRU, MFU Cache
- Threads, executor services, futures, semaphores
- Memory leak, Garbage collection
- Basic Sql operations and queries
- System Design Primer (Github)
- White paper on DynamoDB and Kafka
- Design common services like Instagram, facebook, google docs, WhatsApp, uber etc.
- Read articles on REDIS, Memcached, Cassandra
- Grokking the system design
- Read through CTCI section, leetcode explore section and leadership principles
- Make a few cases based on STAR format
AMA if you have any questions, would love to help fellow blinders to get offers from their dream companies.