I'll be joining Amazon as SDE 1 tomorrow! My only job so far has been at a startup so I'm used to wearing t-shirts to work. However at my interviews I saw a lot of people wearing shirts. What's the appropriate way to dress?
TOP 17 Comments
- Amazon yrtewYour picture will be taken so at least on the first day you can wear something nice
- Microsoft BarFooBring a box of tissues for the tears. Bonus points if you bought it on Amazon.
- I often times go to work wearing a simple t-shirts. The principal software engineers on my team will often times wear t-shirts as well. Occasionally I will wear a collared shirt.
But yes I would agree with the previous commenter. It does not hurt to wear a collared shirt for the first few days. But I'm more comfortable in a t-shirt. If I am presenting something to a large audience or attending meetings with my skip level or my directors then I will dress it up a bit with a collared shirt.
- Amazon biffbezosA shirt makes a nice first impression but a T-shirt is fine too. The shirt is a little dressier than is expected from an intern but it sends a signal that you take the job seriously. Personally I’d wear shirts for the first couple days and then gradually transition to whatever is comfortable.
- Amazon SomeName2Dress is casual. Agree with feedback on first day photo. You want to look professional since that photo will be available in phone tool. If you like T-shirts, you can always find nice shirts with no logo (think Zuck). Good luck on your first day!