I work as an SDET at Amazon. Especially, with Amazon reputation, I feel that SDETs might be fired anytime. Is it possible to get converted to SDE within the same team or the other team? If anybody had done it, whats your experience?
TOP 21 Comments
- Microsoft / Eng spejl41dcan the janitor become an SDE? No. You have to be able to write code.
- Amazon VMVWhat Amazon reputation are you talking about? Did Amazon remove a role before? They barely have any non-performance related lay offs.
Amazon has may be 1 sdet for 40-50 sdes. Not like Microsoft where they had 1:1 ratio. Stop freaking out and fear mongering. Become an SDE if you want to, not because you are afraid of lay off.
- I converted from sdet to sde. I was essentially working as an sde for more than 6 months. In my opinion, there is only about 40% overlap in the kind of skills required. I landed in this no-sdet team via a reorg. Design patterns and DI are one of the main things I ramped up on.
- Amazon zCpm24It's a reasonable concern but I wouldn't be worried for the immediate future. The roles are compensated equally at Amazon so as long as you're creating value you're fine. It's just more probable to create value as an SDE because there's more need for the role. I switched over to SDE from SDET by finding a team that would allow to fill the gaps I had. I essentially joined the team and did only SDE tasks and within about 8 months I had enough data to justify the role change. You can do the same if you find the right team.
- Do you have interest in being an SDE or are you passionate about test? Do you feel like you are raising the tech bar at your level for an SDE?
I have seen people do this, but out of passion, not fear. Work on a team of SDEs for a few months and show you’re up to the task. If they still want to loop you, pass it and prove it.