Location: Ontario, Canada
Base : 110,000 CAD
Visa: Express Entry
Location: Bay Area
Experience: 5+ years
With salary levels being so low in CN, not sure if it is the right move 🤔
Your comments are appreciated.
- Microsoft XxyyzzCcbbCanada: if you like crazy cold winters lasting 6 months, way less money - check the exchange rate and divide 110,000 by 1.3 to get the US equivalent, overpriced housing market, mediocre public school system, long hospital waits, and overcrowded cities. Don’t make a mistake- if you have a choice US is thousands times better.
- EMC nopposLiving expenses are lower in Canada unless it is Vancouver... in Bay Area for most people more than 30% salary is spent in rent and most just dream of buying homes ...
- Have you even googled Ontario?
Here’s how the 3 months of Winter will be -
“Winter - December 21 to March 19
In winter, it is cold and, depending which area you live in, it may snow often. The temperature in most of the province is often below 0°C, day and night. Temperatures can drop below -30°C, which can be dangerous”
Below 0 day and night for 3 months.
Now check your Mountain View weather for the next week.
- Blackstone 751hbw2Express Entry means PR and you can be a citizen soon after in a great peaceful country, no matter how you look at it, the US is hostile towards foreigners at this time, don’t waste your life on H1B.
- I completely agree , with the current Visa situation in the US , Canada seems to be a better option , but then at what cost ... I loose my network , chances of joining another start up , getting funding , innovation or at the least find another job in no time. This where I am not able to judge, it will be like starting all over again in a new land like I did 8 years ago
- OP, I am Canadian citizen and live in Toronto. I would love to work in the US. US experience is invaluable.
- ~100k TC . Living in Toronto is super expensive: 2200CAD/month rent, eating out is expensive ( meal at Mc Donald’s is ~10bucks) however eating at sit down restaurant without alcohol would cost you 20-25 bucks. Also, keep in mind that with 100k you will be taking home around 62-63k.
- I recommend taking it. You will be put of the rat race and folks on ON will value your background. Also, very few folks there make in six figures unlike here in bay area where you are laughed at if you aren't part of 6 figure club. Congratulations and good luck.
- Nokia sdk10Winter is not bad . You will feel it for 1st year. Next year on ward you won't even realize that it's winter. You will just get used to weather. Usually Jan to March is worse in winter, it goes around -20 to -30c but if you are well prepared in advance,use layered clothing,You should be fine. You will just get used to it. Don't worry about winter that shouldn't be your concern while moving. From TC point of view, you will be taking cut but you are getting stability. TC can always grow. 110k is not bad. Don't stay in expensive area. You don't need to stay in downtown to pay 2200pm. Live in other areas. couple of my friends paying 2 bed condo 1200-1400 range in Mississauga, Scarborough etc. You can use online tax calculator to see how much you will take home...expect to pay avg tax rate of 30+ at least. You should be getting 75k in hand approximately.