Got 2 offers,
Uber senior 2: TC 400k per year assume $40 per share Rsu
Google l4: TC 330k per year
I knew level wise Uber senior 2 is much better than google l4 which is not negotiable
But google is much closer for commute, better team gcp, better benefit, culture and prestige.
Wondering am I too weird if I refer google over Uber?
Got 2 offers,
- Amazon / Eng HooliganssmoreBeing assured a solid team is huge. Would take Google. And, a shorter commute is nothing to sneeze at.
- Akamai Technologies / Other TechrulezFor those advising to take a job because of a higher level ranking/title... how important is a title outside of said organization? I personally would take better commute/benefits/pay.
- In my experience, you’re the one who’s “wrong”. Companies that want to hire you, if they think you’re a fit, will do just that. I have seen companies make up roles to get someone. In my experience, at most of the organizations I have worked at and know of, it has been irrelevant.
- Uber is a startup which has been "struggling" to attract talent recently. Hence the inflated title vs Google.
Also if you come from a small startup, then yes title are meaningless. Years of experience will be what companies look at. If you come from a bigger company, title is more important than experience.
So basically, if you move from/to a small company title doesn't matter much. If not then it does
- I’m from Uber and is advising you to go for Google because of better team... You can always come to Uber after your stint at Google. We love ex-Googlers!
- Uber secondary shares are at $33 and preferred share at $48. Since no one is getting preferred stock now, Wondering how did you get to $40? Was it just average of the two?
- It's just an illusion though. Smaller companies keep saying impact but how do you quantify it? I worked at a startup where I was 70% of the iOS codebase. We had MAU of 3000. I would have had much more "impact" at a company where I was 1/100 of the iOS codebase but reaching ten million people.
- It's always tough for not established businesses. To me there is a critical mass when things become great. And then there is a greater critical mass when things turn from great to sucky. If there is a such thing as a startup within a bigger company then this is generally what makes that job better than ones around.
I have nothing to complain at Uber. I don't work on the "bleeding edge" of things but my team is tiny and we create ripples across the company. If that weren't the case, I'd be a gonner long time ago. I don't see myself working anywhere but Uber or some small company. F G or any other monsters make me sick.
- 100% google, if you replaced Uber with almost any other major tech company, I would say probably that company.
- Uber am no oneWhat prestige does Google give you? 9 years of experience JUNIOR developer? It only make you look bad. You’re good not because you join Google (actually many people are not strong there), you’re good because you’re good.
- Facebook cluggsalotChoosing between Uber and google is like choking between a turd and a bar of gold.
- Sounds like Google is more fun. Sometimes work is not just about money, but fun and convenience count a lot as well.
- Uber jdJH54From a career and comp perspective Uber is a clear winner, 5b is a tough level to achieve so you must have interviewed well. But you should go with the company and team you are most excited about. I chose Uber over Google a few years ago and haven’t regretted it. The opportunities for growth and leadership are huge at Uber, and you are getting in pre-IPO. You can always go to Google later.
- Amazon w1nI'd be glad to provide my input but first, please, help me choose between poop or pizza for dinner 🙃
- Houseparty usenthrowGoing from l4 to l6 at Google will take five years and the l5 to 6 jump is difficult. Also l4 and l6 are just very different jobs. I would never join as a 4 if I was a 6 in an equivalent company, and Uber and Google are equivalent engineering organizations in terms of Junior level talent
- I wouldn't say that G culture is better. At Uber the scope of projects and ability to influence them would be much larger. I would never go back to G despites the much better perks.
- Go to google and come back in 2 years when you’re still L4 and tell us how good of a decision that was... 😒
- The higher level counts for a lot. Take it.the Google offer will be valid for a while. However I would move close to the office. A better commute is worth a lot more than you realize
- Google / Eng kfduFwiw, 330k is super high for L4, and I would say even higher than 60-70% of L5 offers if not more. So you are certainly getting L5 level pay.
- LinkedIn mrpoopybutHave you adjusted your numbers for the stock price increases of basically all of the FANG companies? I'm finding at LinkedIn that the numbers are much higher than I thought they were last year, and I attribute that to the big stock price increase. You have to keep in mind that other people experienced the same increase so when they're negotiating offers their current pay is already inflated and thus the offer gets inflated.
- Intel radio1Less commute and better benefits are important plus Google has much better reputation.
- Google at these numbers. Assume you perform at a 5/6 level, you'll be promoted quickly and hit 450+ real money. I'd ask for 500+ from Uber if you're leaning towards Google since it can't hurt
- Uber / Other lyftdudemoreI feel so sad I traded google t5 for Uber eng 1 three years ago.
- No offense I'm just really surprised to see user offering 5b which is Google staff level equivalent. Did you do extremely well in your uber interview or have some special skills thats very valuable to uber? Or did you just bomb one of your Google interviews to get down leveled.Apr 30, 2018 0
- How to compare google l5 with Uber 5b, which one is harder to get promoted? How about google l6 and Uber staff?
- Uber is much smaller and has been growing at a faster rate in recent years. In such environments it’s usually easier to get ownership of a project with wider scope, have higher impact and consequently get promoted faster. So my guess is so far it’s been easier at Uber, but Uber has become somewhat mature now too so no telling how it will be in future.
- Are there RSU refreshes and cash bonus at Uber? If so, how it compares with Google.