Companies that pay higher than Uber for SWE L5 equivalentFeb 7
I joined Uber 9 months ago. To be fair, Uber pays SWEs very well. However, I'm not a big fan of my team and project, and the culture in general. I started looking elsewhere. To begin with, I talked to traditionally high paying companies. It was strange that Google recruiter discussed comp (for L5 level) with me even before scheduling a phone screen. They said they wanted to set a realistic expectation for comp. I thought it was just Google or it was just that recruiter. Then literally same thing happened with LinkedIn for a Staff level position. I asked her why they discussed comp so early. She said they had a lot of candidates turned down their offers in favor of Uber's. They just wanted to save time for both me and them. They simply cannot match Uber for comp. I told her that comp isn't the most important, but then she just gave me the absolute maximum comp for the level, which is indeed a lot lower than my current comp.
So which companies can match Uber comp for L5/E5 level?
TC $475k (excluding signon bonus, equity based on fair market value), 8 yoe
- Netflix vUhw26Netflix will beat that but you must understand you’re getting pre iPo stock that’ll 2x. Are you a Senior II at Uber?
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Axon / DesignhdtswvawmoreLOL. On one side that explains why HR wanted to be honest with you on the TC, on the other side, this maybe why Uber has bad culture. Curious to know the maximum for L5 at fb and google. pls DM me.
- Your TC for your first year will be much less than that if you leave now, since you’d forfeit your first year’s equity.
- In my case, fb just beat out uber. Uber recruiter got stunned. BTW it's my third time saying no to Uber.
- How are you calculating TC? When talking with the recruiter about my Uber offer they were taking future refreshers into account which increased it from 400k to 450k. Whereas Google didn't include it in their calculation.
- Uber iokloklSome calculation is wrong with your current TC? Maybe joining bonus included? Curious to know.
- Are you quoting the number that they put on the offer summary with refreshers stacked up already counted in the TC? You won't see that TC until your 4th year when the refreshers are actually all stacked. And that number is not comparable to FB, G and most other offers, since they don't include refreshers in the offer at all. What's your TC if you take refreshers out?