Does anybody else feel like shit because they’ll never get a $100k signing bonus?Jan 23, 2018
Failed FB intern interview and now I’ll never get a sick signing bonus. I feel like dying, what do I do
- Facebook publicUgh seek help? A signing bonus is a one time stop gap, it's not life altering at all. You'll be fine and make millions over the years; your life is definitely worth more than 100k :)
- Microsoft / Eng(_/\_)75k a year is a very very very conservative estimate. Very soon you’ll have to buy a house and in Seattle right now you need 700k at least to buy a decent one. By the time you save enough down payment working with Msft or amazon with their puny stock compensations the home prices will be 800-900 which means your 30 year mortgage is going to be 4000$ per month
Then kids and stuff. 100k sign on is a game changer. Ppl who’re already raking it in wouldn’t understand. I’ve been with Microsoft for 4 years and I rue my fate for not being able to get into Fb.
Try to make the best out of this shit. Only way you’re getting a 100k sign on now is if you have multiple competing offers after your internship
- Uber GMie27One of my schoolmates got a $1m signing bonus when he was born. Yet I don’t give a shit about it.
- If it makes u feel any better the tax rate on a bonus is 50%. So really only 50k.
- Palantir / EngchasmWho cares about a sick signing bonus, half of it goes into a trash can due to taxes and stuff
- Amazon ;&48,&:3?7Dude there are engineers in Silicon Valley at other companies getting paid less than 145k with 10+ years experience on you. Count you blessings ... Geezus
- Amazon / EngasdzxcWow maybe this is a reason why you didn’t get the job, you complain like a damn 8 year old who thinks shit should be given to them! You didn’t get it, why? Because you were not good enough or were not what they wanted. What makes you think you deserve the 100k? It was never yours to begin with, move on! Get better at what you do and what u have to offer!
- Most people will never make $100k a year in their life let alone as a bonus.
If you think you are better than 99.9% of people and deserve a $100k bonus you need to work hard, improve your skills and prove that to the company. In the meantime be thankful for what you do have.
- You think you deserve a lot of money, a tesla or first class flights because your friends have them. That's not how the world works. There will always be people who make more money than you and if you compare yourself to them you'll be unhappy.
Go work for a program like Americorps for a year, or Peace Corps, survive on little money and you will learn what "fucking bad" is. Not getting a $100k bonus is not "fucking bad."
OP - Did you read about the post where someone said their office at Google is 145k/600k/65k and at FB its 155k/320k/100k.
Are they greater than the offer you did not receive?
Is 145k not enough for you to buy first class tickets, a Tesla on EMI or both? 1-4-5,000!
You just started your career. There'd be a time when you'll likely lose 1mm in bonuses. And times when you make that much and you'd not feel a thing. Enjoy what you got today and work towards your goal, if it means bagging next level at Facebook.
Life is more than 100k.
- Microsoft CryptnoobThis idiot has been posting this shit all across reddit, blind, etc. He just cycles usernames and posts again. Went by DaFunk on blind, foxh8r on reddit, etc. Always the same whiny shit about Amazon, him not being at a great school for undergrad, "low" comp, etc. he never listens. Don't bother trying to help people he has done this for years.
- Fuck them. If you are good at what you do you will make many millions. Invest early and often and you'll make up for the 100k in a few years.
- You have to take what you get, it's a good time to be a software engineer. You'll have multiple offers if you're any good.
Also might want to consider something risky early on in your career. Like pre ipo or even earlier stage startups.
Remember risk becomes exponentially expensive with age.
- The demand for software engineering is not going anywhere but up for 10 years. Almost every company hires software engineers because they need them. chill and enjoy being in demand.
Get better at interviews. They aren't going anywhere or changing style for the next 10 years. May be the single best investment you make. Leetcode, and never go silent. If you don't know the answer communicate your thoughts and try a naive solution.
after two years experience no one cares what school you went to.
- You do realize that you'll be able to interview again in the future right?
- Microsoft sudo rm-rThe fucker is back. Last time he was Frankfurt. This is one dude that only electric shocks to his balls at a mental facility can save.
- Microsoft LogShowYeah you can definitely sit here whining and doing nothing.thats gonna help
- Google DubaiSh$tLmao just interview in two more years and get 1.3m in equity like FreddyFox. Signing won’t seem as significant.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Woah is me op makes more than 99% of Americans and complains about it.
- Netflix idwO72Just give up. Life without 100k signing bonuses isn’t a life worth living